Chapter 48: Monsters live in the woods

I woke up on the ground in a circle. It was dark and there was an open flame next to me. I focused my eyes on the figures moving around me. I tried to roll on my side but my hands were tied. I didn't know if this was because I got caught by people working for Henry or if I had new people to worry about.

“You awake now?” an unfamiliar voice said.

For what I could make out of her, she looked to be in her early fifties. She was kind of fat and stout. Another person emerge from behind her. I could tell it was a man. He was extremely tall. I couldn't make out is face but he didn't seem to be smiling.

“Honey, I said are you awake now,” the woman repeated. I snapped my head in her direction. “What were ya doin' in my woods?”

“Uh, we were hungry,” I scuttled back a little. “Where's Myles?”

“Oh you talking about that boy over there. Cao almost threw his back out trying to tie him up,” the woman said. “He's a strong one, isn't he?”

“Why did you tie us up?”

“Honey, we two were on our property. We have every right to kill you.”

Bells started ringing in my ears. I felt like everything was going in slow motion. “K-kill us? Just let us go and you'll never have see us again. We're trying to get home. We haven eaten in over two days. We were just looking for something to eat.”

The woman watched me a awhile before speaking again, “Cao, untie her and get her and the boy something to eat,” she said to the overgrown man. “Honey,” she directed her attention to me, “It's dangerous out here for a young girl. You shouldn't be out here with your brother like this. Someone could have snatched you up and you'd never see each other again.

The man disappear behind me until I felt his hands on mines. He was cutting the rope off my wrists then he walked off. “I know how dangerous it is out there, trust me,” I replied coldly.

“How old are are you?” she asked.

“Sixteen,” I shrugged.

“Oh, well, I guess you do know how bad it can be,” she smirked. “What's you name?”

“Mason,” I tried looking at anything but her. “And that boy that was with me is not my brother, he's my mate.”

“Oh, I see,” she shook her head. “Come, my cabin's over there,” she grabbed my wrist and pulled me up. “It's cold out here. We don't want you catching a cold. I'm Doe by the way, and that was my boy Coa.”

I tried pulling away from her, but she had a tight grip. I've had enough experience where someone pretended to be nice, only to later show their true colors. I didn't want to follow her because I didn't know if I'd ever get out again. “What kind of name is Doe?” I took my mind off the fact that this women was practically dragging me into her home.

“What kind of name is Mason? You are a girl, aren't you?” Doe countered.

I scowled at the back of her head. I started scratching her hand. I wanted her to let me go. “We don't want your food, just let us go.”

“Honey, you act like we're going to eat you or something. Now stop scratching me,” she yanked my hand and I flew through the front door. I ended up on the hard wood floors on my knees. They were stinging intensely but I kept my reaction to the pain at minimal.

Doe walked behind me and pulled me to my feet. He sat me down at a table and her son sat a plate of food in front of me. There was some kind of meat, potatoes, carrots, and peas on the plate.