Chapter 19: Angela's in a New Hell (edited)

“Angela, Angela!” I called. Her back was turned to me. “Angela!” I said a little louder. She turned towards me and I was shocked. Her skin was pale and her lips were capped and cracking. Even the look she gave me was off. Her hair was in a tangled mess down her back. What happened to her? Her eyes showed no signs of the previous Angela. They were lifeless.

“A-Angela?” I asked. A knot was forming in my throat. “Come here.”

She got off her chair and zombie walked over to me. She looked so dead. “Oh Mason,” her voice sounded hoarse, “when did you get here? They told me you left. Do you want to come in and play? Or I can do you're hair. I did mines. I'm really good at it.”

“What? No! What’s wrong with you? I heard that you were auctioned. Did he bring you back?” I frowned.

She chuckled. “Yes silly, I kept being bad so he brought me back. I lost our baby and I had to be locked away,” her eyes seemed to bulge from her head. “He was mad. I wanted to call my father but he said he could never know what happened to me. Mason, I was a bad girl. I had to be punished,” she said before laughing. “I was a really bad girl Mason, but I am being a good girl now.”

I took a step back, away from the door and ran back to my room, without getting lost. When I got to my bed, I was shaking and pacing across the floor. What kind of punishment could she have been talking about? She said that she lost their child. Did that mean that he raped her? Something was off, like she was brainwashed or something.  That wasn't the same Angela.

“What’s going on?!” I shouted. I don’t understand. Why is Angela back? Why is she in that room? Why is this happening now? “Ahhhhh,” I shout and punched the wall. A long crack grew until it hit the base of the wall.

I needed to cool down, but I didn’t know how. I am so angry. Why couldn’t they just leave her alone? My body began to get hot and I couldn’t change what was happening. I could feel my bones cracking. Fur was starting to sprout on my knuckles. I drop to the floor in pain. I howled and the sounds bounced off the walls fiercely.

I felt my fang pierced through my gums. The room was spinning and before I knew it…I lost control. I had shifted. I ran into the door repeatedly in my wolf form. I could hear it cracking with each bang. Then, before I knew it, there was a dog-size hole at the bottom and I was roaring through the corridor.

Girls from every direction were coming out of their rooms to see what was going on. I wasn’t in control anymore. I didn’t know what my wolf would do. I growl at anyone I came into contact with. I was ready to fight, to challenge anyone. I couldn't make out anyone. Everything was blurred and I was running on blind faith. I crashed into walls, doors, and people...lots of people. I didn’t know what I was doing. I just knew I had to before I go completely insane.

The metallic taste of blood filled my mouth but I kept running.

I ran from corridor to corridor until I stopped in front of Angela’s door. I sniffed her out. I clawed at the door, hoping she would open it for me. When she didn’t answer, I got angry. I growled at the door and flared my nostrils. Again, I got no sound. Why wouldn't she open the door for me?

I hopped trying to bite down on the door knob. It was a poor decision, but I was running on adrenaline and pure anger.  Rational thinking was the last thing on my mind. I clawed at the door again until I heard a sound. My ears perked and twitch as I heard the familiar sound of feet slapping against the floor. Before she had a chance to answer the door, my body went limp and everything went dark.

*

*

I woke up on the floor and found myself trying to adjust my eyes to the light. I felt my body to make sure I was okay. I wasn’t in my wolf form anymore. I felt the smooth skin of my arms and legs and the familiar fell of the fabric from my dress. When I was finally able to set my eyes, I saw people...a lot of people.