Chapter 44: Free in Ignorance

It smelled musty in this place, I've been getting dizzy from the urine fumes, and my cell mate has been staring at me for almost an hour now. As I lay on my battered mattress in this horrible blue uniform, I think about Myles and Noah. I've had a lot to think about these last five days.

I thought about what it would be like if Noah and I were together. He would love me, but I don’t know if I would love him the same. Noah has been there for me at the academy and he even helped to get Angela free. He fought off Conner—the meat-head who didn't know how to keep his hands to himself. However, he doesn't know what it's like to be in my situation. Noah is sheltered and privileged. I feel like he thinks he's living in a fairytale.

Then I think about Myles. He could be so unpredictable sometimes. He's had a rough life. He knows how I feel, maybe even better than I do. I couldn't deny that there was an attraction between us. A wrinkled dress can bare witness to that. I can't lie and say that my heart wasn't beating for him like it did for Noah. Ever since I met Myles he's done nothing but protect me. He went up against his father for me. He's been beaten and tried to help me run away. I've never met anyone quite like him. No one has ever sacrificed so much for me like he has.

The more I thought about them. The more my answer became clear. I knew who I finally wanted. I knew that once I say it, there was no going back. I was going to loose one of them either way.

“Mason Faye, you have a phone call,” one of the guards banged his hand against the metal bars.

I sat up on my mattress and stared at him. It was odd. No one had call or seen me since Henry sent me here. I couldn't imagine who it could be. Noah probably had no idea where I was and Myles wasn't talking to me.

“Do you want your phone call or not?!” the guard shouted crudely. “Come on, come on. I don't have all day.”

I stood up and walked to the bars, “Who called me?”

“I don't know,” he scowled at me before unlocking the cell. I looked back at my roommate and she still had her eyes on me. She always watched my every move like I was going to attack her in her sleep. “I could always tell them to call back later,” he smirked.

“No! I'm coming, I'm coming.” He grabbed me by the forearm. “Ouch!” He walked me down a few familiar hallways. The same hallways I haven't seen in days.

“There's the phone,” he said as he walked up to a single desk with nothing but an old phone sitting on it. “You have two minutes.”

I nodded then picked up the phone, “hello?”

“Mason,” Myles said. His voice was so soothing. I closed my eyes and envision him standing next to me.

“Myles,” I said. I just wanted to say his name. These few days felt like years. Although it was horrible here, it was still no Victorn Girl's Academy. Nothing could truly be like that place. That place was hell in it's purest form.

“I'm bringing you home,” Myles said and hung up. There was no 'how are you doing', 'have you eaten', or a 'I miss you.'

Naturally, I should have been upset, but when Myles said those words, I almost cried. Other than my lips quivering a little, I was able to compose myself. I'd never been so grateful. Although Henry's house was not home, the way Myles said it made me believe it for a moment. After a few days of living in this trash bin, I was ready to leave graciously.

“Looks like you're going home. Someone must love you,” the guard grinned. “Here's your shit,” he threw me a big brown envelope with my dress and shoes inside. I decided to stay in my blue uniform. I've undressed enough in front of the guards here. “The door is over there.”