Chapter 18: Confronting Him (edited)

Another week down and another friend gone. I was losing everything and coming closer to my doom. I became more silent in my last few weeks here. Everything just seems so insignificant. I didn’t even bother to tell Sammy goodbye. Noah tried to cheer me up, but even now he's become a nuisance to me. After our encounter with Keegan, I couldn't stop thinking about my auction day. Noah always talks about how he’s going to win me and that everything will be fine. I couldn't help but think that he was a fool, a fool for believing that we could stay together.

The auction date is coming closer and closer and there is nothing I can do. I want to go home, to be with my parents and Noah, but I don’t have any hope for it. I will be auctioned and I have to come into terms with that. I will have to be a completely different person.

Since I had nothing to do on a Saturday again, I went to find Noah at our designated make out room for today. I hoped in the shower and started humming. Once I was done, I dried off and slipped on the clothes I brought my first day here. They hung slightly-loose around my shoulders and waist. I shrugged it off and rolled up my pants at the waist. I combed through my thick tangled hair and then put it in a big braid going straight down the back. I slipped on my Converses then went to Noah.

*

*

I went to my empty Home Ec. classroom. Even with all the things I’ve went through since I lost my friends, I was still the best baker in the class. It made me happy when I baked. I love doing something with my hands and being able to make people happy.

“Hello,” I strolled in the room.

“Hi,” he said then paused before running up to me. He gave me a big, fat kiss on the lips before he picked me up and sat me on the desk. It was a good minutes before we broke apart. We were both breathless, just the way I like it.

“I want to marry you one day Mason,” he pulled a strand of my hair behind my ear and smiled.

“What?” I chuckled. “Now you’re just being ridiculous.”

“I mean it. I’m going to make you my wife. Then one day we’ll have children and we’ll live in a huge house of our own. How does that sound?” he gave me a peck on the lips. “What’s wrong?” he noticed my lack of speech and enthusiasm in the kiss.

“Nothing, it’s just that auction day is just a week away for me. What if you’re not able to win me? What if your father is unwilling to give you the money?

“It’s going to be okay Mason,” Noah said soothingly as stroked hair.

“No, it’s not,” I countered and hopped off the desk. “All of my friends are either auctioned or dead. And do you know why?” He shook his head ‘no’. “It’s because of me. I should have thought the plan out better. I should have known that Caroline was a traitor. I should have pushed Jillian to go further.”

“You couldn’t have known what would happen. You underestimated this place Mason. There are bad people everywhere.”

“I know that!” I lowered my voice, “don’t you think I know that? I found that out the hard way. All I see is death now.”

“Why are you snapping at me?” he asked.

“I’m not!” I shouted. “I just hate it when you tell me things are going to be okay when they clearly aren’t. I don’t want you giving me false hope Noah.”

“I told you that I would win you,” he said.

“I don’t know if that for sure,” I whispered. I looked up into his eyes. He looked hurt. I wanted to say something or do something that would show him that I had faith in him, but I didn’t.

Before I could open my mouth to tell him a lie, he kissed me. It wasn’t like any of his other kisses. This one didn’t make the hairs on my arms stand on edge or make my heart beat uncontrollably. No, this one was desperate so I pushed him away.

“Don’t,” I said.

“Why not Mason?” he asked. I looked into his eyes again and I could see an array of emotions. Anger, shock, and hurt now laced his face. I was the cause of it. Why do I seem to hurt the people I care for? “Why are you pushing me away?”

“I have to go,” I said. I didn’t want to keep talking about this. All I wanted was to make my own choices until they were all taken away from me.

“Wait, don’t leave,” he caught my arm. “Why are you doing this? I thought we were…” he trailed off.

“I can’t do this, not right now,” I yanked my hand away and left without looking back.

As soon as I closed the door behind me, I slammed into something, or rather someone. Keegan was cursing my name once we both got off the floor. “Watch where the fuck you’re going?”

I blinked then walked away. It wasn’t until I was at the end of the corridor that Keegan spoke again, “I heard your little plan. You really think he can save you?” Keegan chuckled. “No one can save you from the auctions. With an attitude like yours, you’ll be back in no time. Then you be all mines,” he smirked.

He walked up to me and started circling like a vulture.

“I think you should shut the hell up. You don’t know what will happen. Unlike you,” I walked up to him so we were only a step away from each other, “Noah doesn’t rape, hit, or kill girls. You’re nothing. One day someone one will beat the shit out of you and I only hope I can be there to take pictures.”

“You bitch!” he shouted before he swung his hand foreword and I caught it.

I shoved his hand away, “not today. You will not hit me today.

He tensed his and balled his fist. He kept flinching and I thought he was about to punch me but he didn’t so I finished what I had to say.

“You killed her,” my lips began to quiver but I continued. “She had done nothing to deserve what you did to her. You raped her, taunted her, and then you killed her. How did it feel to see her terrified every time you came around her? You made her feel dirty!”

He swallowed and I kept going. Every movement or action he made, gave me the confidence to keep going. “I’ve lost everything because of you. I hate you,” I said through clenched teeth. I bit down so hard that I thought I would draw blood. “I just thought you should know that if given the chance, I will kill you.”

There was nothing else he could do to me so he stood still with his fist clenched. I walked away without looking back.

I felt good after that. It was like a weight was lifted off my back and I could finally breathe. I had to tell someone. I needed to talk to Noah. Maybe I needed to finally confront Keegan. He killed Jillian, who was possibly my best friend and was not punished for it. If I could make him feel just a little guilty then I would be satisfied.

After fifteen minutes of walking mindlessly, I saw that I had succeeded in getting myself lost. I had never been on this floor before. Everything in the hallway was sterile white. Even the doors were white. Something about this floor made my skin crawl.

As I passed each door I looked into the room to find girls in siting chairs or lying on beds. I would have thought it was just another floor if they were wearing blue nightgowns. They all seemed dead until one of them twitch, turned around and started kicking the wall. I quickly walked down the hall afraid to make eye contact with any of them.

At least until I saw someone familiar. It was her, I know it is. “Angela?”