Chapter 16: Let Me Help You Mason (edited)

A/N

Only a few more chapters to go until Mason is face to face with her mate. Do you know who it is? If so, then comment.

**********************************************************************************

"Now my parents weren’t like the people here,” Sammy said in her southern twang. “They were already married before the auctions started. My daddy was actually in the rebellion. That's when he was killed by Julius Alcoff’s army. He fought hard.”

“Oh…I didn’t know your dad was in the rebellion. That must have been hard.”

“The hardest part was when they came to our house and made us burn all of his possessions. If we didn’t, they would have killed all of us,” she shook her head as if trying to get rid of the memory.

“We almost lost our house because they refused to give us daddy’s savings. They claimed that it’s rebel money and should be destroyed,” she sighed. “My daddy is my hero. I’m glad that he was brave enough to fight in the rebellion, he care about us. He wanted us to be free.”

~Sammy’s POV~

“Stay up there Jessica and Kelly, you already told Sammy goodbye,” mamma said. “She’ll be back in a few months.”

“Bye Sammy, come home soon!” Jessica and Kelly shouted in unison.

“Now when you get there, don’t cause any trouble,” mamma whispered. “I don’t want to have to bury my teenage daughter because she couldn’t keep her mouth shut and stop meddling,” she lightly chuckled. She tried to say it as a joke but we both knew how real it really was.

“I doubt they’ll even tell you. I won’t get a burial, they’ll just cremate me and throw my ashes over a garden or something,” I shrugged.

“Why would you say something like that?” mamma clutched the spot over her heart. “Don’t ever say that! That will never happen. You will live to go through the auction and you will get a mate that will let you visit your mamma once in awhile,” she kissed my forehead and gave me once last squeeze before walking back to the house and my sisters following suit.

I hated this. It's worse than the day that letter came telling me that I have to attend Victorn Academy. I hated knowing that my two younger sisters would have to go through the same things when they get older. They were too young to know about the auction and my mother and I wanted to keep it that way. If my daddy was still alive he would have tried his best to hide us. I bet right about now he rolling around in his grave, itching to get a piece of the people whose breaking his family apart.

The driver had just pulled into the parking lot. I walked to the back as he came around to open the door. Once he opened the door, nothing but eyes were on me. It was jam packed. Some girls were even sitting on each other’s laps. Did I have to find someone to sit on?

“Look we ain't got all day girlie, get on!” he driver said revealing some decaying teeth. I frown then climbed in. I apologized to the girl who I was sitting on. The ride was bumpy and very rough. A few times I even slid off one girl’s lap into another’s. That's how compacted it was.

It felt like we were in this sardine can for hours. Throughout the whole trip the smell had to be the worst. It was a mixture of so many stenches that it made bile rise in my throat. I had never appreciated clean air so much.

I almost jumped--in this case- bounced truck stopped. I needed to get out of this thing.

The doors of the truck opened and I was hit by the fresh cool night air. “get out,” the driver said crudely. All of us scrambled out of the truck ended up tripping over each other. I fanned myself once I was outside. I was so hot in there that I thought I was going to cook. Before the door opened I was on the verge of regurgitating my dinner.