Chapter 24: Not Like My Father (edited)

Myles looked up from his food at me. My heart started racing in my chest. I didn’t know what he was going to do. I was too emotionally raw. Any sudden movement and I would be accountable for what my wolf does. I sat there looking at anything but him while he stared holes into the side of my face.

“What is your name?” he asked in a deep soothing voice. I didn’t respond. I wasn’t trying to rebel. It was dawning on me that this guy was my mate. This guy was suppose to be the man I lie next to at night and not Noah. I may never be free or get to be with Noah. “That’s okay; you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want.” He said before he got up from the table and took his empty plate with him.

After about five minutes and  no sign of him returning, I breathed out a sigh of relief. He left me alone. I had to stay on guard. I thought the academy wouldn’t be so bad, but looked what happened. I was beaten, taunted, and threatened. I lost three friends there. I felt like I had nothing to live for in the end. That place took a part of me that I can never have back, but I knew that-that wouldn't be forever. This situation that I am in now is permanent. I don't know what these people will do to me. Will he treat me like they did?

I got up from the table and slid my chair back into place. A part of me wanted to take the opportunity to run, but I had a gnawing feeling in the back of my head that they would catch me before I make it to the front door. But being who I am, I try anyway. My eyes darted around the room. The front door was out of the question so I tried looking for a window. I knew that if I went out the sliding door, then there was a fifty-fifty chance that I’d get caught.

I left the dining room and Heir was waiting outside the door for me. “I will escort you back to your room ma’am,” he said before he turned on his heels and motioned for me to follow.

“Hey, um Heir, do you mind telling me where the bathroom is down here?” I asked. “I really have to go. I don’t think I can make it upstairs.”

“Okay, follow me,” he turned on his heels again and walked down another hall. In my mind I was contemplating if I need to knock him out or just make a run for it. “Here is the bathroom ma’am.”

“Thank you,” I said while mentally kicking myself. I went into the bathroom and just my luck, there was no window. Damn. I leaned against the sink and let out a deep breath. I keep eyeing the towels on the rack. “Heir?”

“Yes Ma’am?”

“Can you come in here please?” I asked, keeping my voice steady.

Once he poked his head in through the door. I roughly pulled him into the bathroom. He squealed as I tied his hands to the pipe under the sink and gagged him. He yanked and pulled at the pipes but didn’t seem to be getting anywhere. In fact, he seemed fairly weak.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered and locked the door behind me. I crept down the hallway trying to find a way out. I darted my eyes from left to right afraid that someone could come at any moment.

I continued down the hallway and took a left. I found myself standing in front of a single door. Then I started hearing footsteps. I made a quick decision and went into the room. It was pitch black and I had to feel around for the light switch.

Once I found the switch, I turned it on and turned round. I went still. My eyes were looking directly into his. I began breathing heavily. I stayed against the door, paralyzed, not sure what to say or do.

He was sprawl out on the bed shirtless. Only boxer brief covered his lower half. My eyes darted to his chest and stomach. Even I had to admit that his physique was impeccable and almost flawless. He had an eight pack and wasn’t afraid to show it. “You refused to talk to me but you come to my room?” he chuckled lightly. “I had a feeling that you’re going to be a difficult mate.”

“I-I,” I stuttered, “I didn’t mean to come...” I swallowed and waited for him to respond. I watched his every move from the way the bed dipped when he sat up to the way he kept his eyes on me while he stalked towards me. "I was looking for the bathroom," I lied.

“Oh,” he propped his arm against the wall on either side of me. “Are you sure you didn’t come for something else?”

“I-I,” I tried to speak but he cut me off when he pulled a strand of my hair behind my ear.

“You are so beautiful,” he whispered in my ear. My heart thudded in my chest and threatened to come out. Why was this happening? Why is my heart beating so fast when Noah was the only one who could do that?

“Please tell me your name?” he whispered in my ear.

“M-Mason,” I croaked. He was too close and too unfamiliar, yet so familiar. My thoughts were getting foggy. He was clouding my mind with his closeness. My wolf was screaming danger.

“Mason…” he trailed off. “I like it.”

My eyes went straight to his window. I could see the bars behind it and wondered if he was a prisoner too. Why was he so caged? Is that why he hasn’t hit, raped, or yelled at me yet?

“You know that—that window has bars, right?” he chuckled. “Even if you did get out, I think the guard dogs would get you. I don’t think you’d look so pretty with bite marks.” He moved to caress my cheek and I slapped his hand away.

“Don’t touch me with your disgusting hands!” I shouted. Oh no. My eyes grew wide and I was mentally cursing.  His eyes darkened which was impossible since they were already dark. But as soon as it came, it left. He looked more hurt than angry.

“Look, I’m not an evil guy. I don’t hit women and I don’t make you do ‘things’ you don’t want to. I wonder what ‘things’ he was talking about. “I’m not like my father,” he looked into my eyes. “I won’t hurt you.” He was so close that we were breathing the same air. “You’re my mate. I just want to take care of you.” He looked directly at me with his hypnotic eyes as his lips brushed against mine. It sent a shiver down my spine because it reminded me so much of Noah.

“I don’t believe you!” I turned my head and closed my eyes. I didn’t want to look at him anymore. NO one said anything about having to look at your mate.

"Where is she! Where is that little whore? No one makes a mockery of me. She will regret being alive. I’ve had enough. Send her back before I kill her!" Henry’s voice boomed through the house and Myles pulled away from me.

“What’s going on?” Myles asked.

I didn’t answer him. A knot formed in my throat and it was hard to speak. I began hyperventilating. I knew Henry was talking about me. He wanted to send me back or kill me. Now I was panicking. He was a Council member. He had the authority to do anything he wanted to me. I was stupid to think that this place would be different from the academy.

“Wait here,” Myles ordered. He opened the door and called for his father. Of course being who I was, I didn’t listen. I followed behind him and kept my head down. If I had to face Henry then I would do it with some dignity. 

“Father, calm down. What's wrong?” Myles tried to reason with him. “I’m sure all of this ranting is uncalled for.”

Henry pushed Myles and he flew down the hall until he skidded to a halt on his back. Then it was my turn. “You!” Henry’s hand gripped my neck so fiercely that saliva spewed out. “You ingrate! Did  you tie up my servant so you could escape?!”