Chapter 14: Everything's Falling Apart (edited)

It took me awhile to get this out because I have been really busy. I hope you all like it and please comment. If anything confuses you, tell me.

*****************************************************************************

PLAY SONG ON THE RIGHT>>>>

There was a hard knock on the and I hesitated answering it. I glance over at Angela and knew by the look on her face that she was not going to answer it. I sighed then got up and opened the door, I took a shaky step backwards when I came face-to-face with Mrs. Bellows and a very pissed off Keegan. We're dead, I thought. There is no doubt about that.

"Please come with us Ms. Faye,” Mrs. Bellow said then looked over my shoulder, “both of you.” The tone in her voice told me that there was no room for arguments, but I didn’t care. I needed to know that she was okay. I couldn't bare the thought of her ending up like Caroline.

“Where’s Sammy,” I shouted in her face. She didn't flinch or blink.

“Sammy who?” Keegan smirked.

“Calm down, the blond haired girl is in her room. I’ve already talked to her,” Mrs. Bellow said.

As we all walked down the corridor to some unknown place, my body stiffened. I hated not knowing what’s going to happen. The last time I took a walk like this, I ended up with blisters and bruises. This time I might not be so lucky.

Suddenly, we stopped in front of a door that read ‘Mrs. Bellows Office’. “Keegan, I want you to wait out here until I am done talking with them.”

“Yes, ma’am,” he gave her a wide grin as he saluted.

She unlocked her office and Angela and I followed her in. It was kind of like the main office. It was filled with flowers and plants. In the center was a rectangular desk and a big black leather chair siting behind it. Mrs. Bellows took a seat at her desk then she pointed at the two chairs in front of it.

We both sat down slowly. The squeak of the leather as we sat down startled me. There something wrong here. Pain is good here. If we’re not in pain then we might be dead. Right now were are not being slapped, kicked, chained, or whipped. Doesn’t that mean we're as good as dead?

“I am very disappointed in you young ladies,” Mrs. Bellow said as she riffled through her desk drawer. “We go out of our way to make sure you all feel as comfortable as possible and this is how you repay me.You tried to escape.”

I snorted, “Yeah right.”

“Excuse me?” Mrs. Bellow looked up and glared at me.

“Do you even know half of what goes on here?” I asked. Angela put her hand over mines to tell me to be quiet, but I couldn’t. “Girls are dying. We stay in these rooms waiting for men three times our age to come and take us away from our families. Your not helping us; you're turning us into robots. Do you really think that is fair?”

“It’s doesn’t have to be fair. It is our way. We can’t all have a happy marriage like the ones before the council’s decree.  The Council is the law here. If you disobey the law, then you will be punished. It is as simple as that. We just have to believe that this is for the greater good.”

“Greater good my ass,” I got up and the chair fell to the floor. “Why do we have to mate with men as old as our grandfathers? We don’t love them. We don’t even like them. I want to be with someone my own age, someone I love. The council has done nothing but screw the entire female population. They should have no say in what we do with our love lives.”