Chapter 12: Showtime! (edited)

“So how do I look?” Jillian asked. I had just finished applying her lipstick. I am in no way good at applying make-up. Jillian, on the other hand is, which is why I didn't understand her reason for letting me apply the make-up. “I want to look good when we leave this place in our dust.”

“Uh...you look amazing!” I voice cracked. It was an unfortunate way to tell that I was lying. I bit my lip out of hesitation. This had to be my worst work yet.

“Great! Give me the mirror,” she beamed.

“Mirror?" I repeated.

“Yes, Mason, the mirror in your hand,” she chuckled.

“Oh, this mirror,” I looked down at it. I ' let her see herself. “It’s broken,” I placed it behind my back. She really didn’t need to see herself right now. I don't think she need to go into shock before we've even escaped.

"No it isn't," Jillian got up and grabbed the mirror before I could protest. As soon as she saw herself, a mixture of shock and more shock fell across her face. I swear I could make the most beautiful person on earth, the ugliest thing the devil has seen.

Like we had planned, we all went to our first class. We had to make ourselves seem like we were still going about our usual routine. As soon as class ended and everyone poured out into the halls were we’re going to start making our moves. Not long after, the halls were completely deserted. Angela and I went off while the others did their jobs.

I had to find Mrs. Bellows; the Headmistress was always in her office. Angela and I walked down the corridors looking for her. We went up and down three corridors before I spotted her talking to one of the staff. She looked like she was scolding him.

“You stay here,” I ordered Angela. "I don’t want her to see you. I’m going to go down another corridor. I’ll come back after I’ve trapped Mrs. Bellows and the Headmistress.”

Angela nodded and I approached Mrs. Bellows slowly.

She turned around to look at me and the staff guy that she was scolding tiptoed away. “Yes, do you need something? Why are you not in your second class?” she asked and I couldn’t help but roll my eyes. Is that all she cared about?

“Mrs. Bellows my name is Mason,” I said. “M-my friend is locked in a room. She had left her notebook and went back to get it. The door closed behind her and she couldn't get out,” I lied.

“What? Who’s locked in a room?” she asked. Her heels clicked against the floor fiercely as she followed me through the corridor. “The doors of this building do not lock from the outside. You should  have been able to open the door for her.” We stop in front of a random door.

I shrugged like I didn’t know what she was talking about. “I don’t see anyone in here,” Mrs. Bellows scanning the room. “Who is supposedly locked in here?”

“You!” I pushed her in and closed the door behind her.

“Hello? Mason,” Mrs. Bellows banged on the door. The door could only open from the outside, so I thought that eventually someone would come and get her out. By then we should be long gone. As I walked away from the door, my palms started to sweat. I hope nothing goes wrong.

Now it was time for me to get the Headmistress. It shouldn’t be too hard. I led her back to the room Mrs. Bellows resided in. She could hear her banging on the door.

“What is this?” the Headmistress questioned. This was the most menacing I had seen her in my few days here.

“Mrs. Bellows got locked in there,” I lied as I pointed to the door. Mr. Bellows was still banging on the door. She walked up to the door then opened it. I quickly pushed her inside and closed the door behind her. I left before I could hear them shouting at me to let them out.