Chapter 40: Can't get any Better

“I will talk to you later,” Henry said as he walked pass me upstairs. “Oh, and Mason, please take some tips on dressing from Talia. The way you walk around here in skimpy shorts with no bra is becoming a problem. You wouldn't want someone thinking of you as a whore, would we?”

I walked off without responding. I knew that was just another shot at me. It wasn't the insults that got me, it was the attempted murders and the threats that made me afraid to sleep alone sometimes.

I didn't make it back to my room for another 30 minutes. I just had so much to think about. I touched the scar on my face and broke down once I closed the door behind me. I was in so much pain. It felt like my heart was literally hurting, it even became hard to breathe. Soon after, I found myself on the floor crying profusely.

*

*

*Two hours later...*

_Knock...knock...knock_

I walked to the door and was face to face with Talia. She looked like she'd just seen a ghost. She was pale and there was red rings around her eyes like she'd been crying.”Henry wants to see you now,” she croaked.

“Are you okay?” I asked. It was stupid of me, but I felt like it was my fault. If I weren't here, none of the bullshit I had gone through would have happened.

Talia stared at me for a long moment before saying, “sure.” It was like life had drained out of her. Just the way she said that one word made me worry. I didn't know why but I thought something was going to happen to her. “Are you coming?”

“Yeah,” I slipped through the door and closed it behind me. She walked me downstairs and then down the hall and another set of stairs. I knew where I was now. It was Henry's office. I swallowed then I turned the knob.

Talia walked in after me. Henry was standing next to his desk looking perplexed at his wall of 'pets'. There was nothing really to think about. He kill those people, probably stuffed them and then he place them on his wall like trophies. Just thinking about it made my stomach churn.

“Sit Mason,” he pointed to the chair directly in front of him. “That is all Talia.” She nodded her head and left the room. It was odd being alone with him. “I called you in here because Heir will have a trial. You will have to testify. Do you understand?”

My head popped up, “testify?”

“Yes,” Henry walked over to his liquor cabinet. “He did try to kill you. Now you'll get the chance to get revenge, right?”

“No!” I stood. “That's not what I want! I-I just wanted to know why he did it. I can't testify against him, they'll kill him and you know it.”

“Nonsense...you will testify. How would it look if the mate to Myles Crawford, son of Henry Crawford, let a criminal go freely? Every criminal deserve their just desserts. It just so happen that you'll get yours in about two months at his trial.

“Wait, you're going to keep him locked up for two months?”

“I should hope longer than that,” he poured himself a drink and sat down at his desk. “What he did was heinous. You must have been scared. Tell me, what were you thinking when he was close to taking your life. Did you cry? Did you ask for your mother?” he leaned over his desk and smirk. “You will be asked these questions at the trial.”

“I won't do it!”

“You won't?” he looked into my eyes. “Well I suppose it's your choice, but I can't guarantee that Heir will be in one piece or alive for that matter once he hits his trial date.”