Chapter 37: New Enemy

The next morning I stayed in bed with my dress still on. It was scrunched up my thighs by the time I got up to use the bathroom. I pulled the dress completely off and turn on the faucet to the tub. Once I finished bathing, I dried myself off and slipped on some underwear with tan shorts and a black tank top.

I laid in bed looking up at the ceiling. I thought about last night and how much it may have opened up a can of worms.

After what happened with Noah last night, I had time to think about me, him and even Myles. I loved Noah and even though I didn’t know that before, I know it now. However, I cannot lie and say that I am not developing feeling for Myles either. He’s been the best mate I could hope for, but then I had to think about what Henry told me. What if Myles sends me back because I will not mate with him? Or what if I do mate with him and Noah hates me forever?

I didn’t want either of them to be mad at me, but it was hard. I don’t even know if I’m stable enough to be in a relationship with either of them. They deserve better.

I covered my face with the pillow and screamed into it. It was all that I could muster up. I felt physically and mentally exhausted. Why is love so exhausting?

Knock…knock

“Hello ma’am, Mr. Myles sent me to check on you. He wants to know if you’re okay,” Heir said from behind the door.

“I’m fine,” I replied, hoping he’d just go away, but that's not what he did. The door creaked open and he had two mugs in his hands. I threw the pillow off my head and sat up.

“I thought you could use something to drink. Is it okay if I stay a little while?” he looked at me with a blank expression on his face.

“Uhm…sure,” I said. This was a little weird. He hasn’t said more than a “hello”, “ma’am”, and “are you okay” to me. This was outside our normal encounters.

“I hope hot tea is okay. Mr. Myles always enjoys my tea,” he gave me a lopsided smile. “Here you go, I made it special for you.”

“Thanks,” I replied then took a sip. I moan as the hot liquid ran down my throat warming my body. He was right, I did need this. It reminded me of home and my parents. It reminded me of cold winters and us sitting in front of the fireplace. It reminded me of everything thing that I lost, but instead of hating myself, I felt relaxed—overly relaxed in fact.

“I feel a little better now,” I said to no one in particular. Heir glance at me and nodded. “How did you become Henry’s servant?”

“I did it because of my sister,” he said. I was a little surprised by his honesty. I didn’t expect him to tell me anything. I did tie him up in a bathroom under the sink and shoved a washcloth in his mouth. It’s only natural for me to expect him to despise me—even more so than Henry.

“What do you mean?” I asked curiously.

“I took this job so I could watch over her,” he took a sip of his tea.

“Oh. Who is your sister?”

“Talia,” he frown and his eyes turned glassy for just a second before going back to their normal emptiness.

“Talia?” I almost choked on my tea. “But she didn’t act like she was your sister. “She barely even acknowledged you in Henry’s office.”

“That’s because we’re fighting right now. She never wanted me to come here, but I had to. We’re all we have left. Our parents are dead. She’s already fifteen. They would have taken her to that academy and I would never see her again.”