Chapter 42: The Trial part 1

*Two days later*

*(The day of the trial)*

I woke up with the weight of the world on my shoulders. Today was the day of the trial. Today was the day that they determine whether Heir dies or not. It's all up to me. If I lie on the stand, they will arrest me for perjury, which is an automatic five year sentence in a women's prison. Just thinking about it sent shivers up my spine.

It's just as bad as the men's prison. Most of the woman there are clinically insane. They've killed their children, tried to or succeeded in killing their mates or they cheated on their mate. The Council consider the woman who are sent there, lucky. The only lucky part is their mates decided not to kill them. That place wasn't meant for sane people.

Knock...knock...knock

“Who is it?” I asked. I looked at myself in the floor length mirror in my new dress. Now that the burns were completely healed, Henry thought it was best that I started wearing dresses. His exact words were, “you're a female, you should start looking like one.”

Since Talia wasn't around to do the shopping, he hired some stranger to bring me dresses. Nothing but fluffy, lacy, puffy pink dresses for the last couple of days. At least this conservative black one was a change.

It didn't matter much though. I was numb. I was numb to all of Henry's remarks. So numb that I didn't even react anymore—I just did. My heart began beating too fast. I was so fast to passing out. My palms were sweaty and my throat felt dry. I should have forced myself to eat at breakfast.

“Can I come in?” Myles asked from the other side of the door. I walked over and opened it. For a long moment, we just stared at each other. Then he pulled me into a hug. There were no words exchanged. It was just me, him, and warmth—I needed that.

“I don't want to do this Myles. I don't want to be the one that kills him,” I sobbed into his shoulder. “I don't want him to die.”

“I know you don't,” he stroked my hair and we swayed together like we were on a dance floor.

“How can I stop this?” I asked him desperately hoping he'd have an answer.

“You don't,” he replied crudely. “You tell the truth and hope that they take mercy on him. That's all you can do.”

I pushed myself off of him and looked up. I was startled as he looked down at me intensely. His gaze held so many emotions. How was I supposed to handle this?

“I hate that you're hurting, but this is going to happen either way,” he closed his eyes then opened them again. “You can sit here sobbing or you can suck it up and do what you're supposed to. I won't baby you anymore Mason.”

“I've never asked you to baby me. I can handle this!” I lied.

“Then show me,” he pushed me further into the room then closed the door behind himself, “when you get on the stand, they will eat you alive,” Myles stared at me with an emotionless expression on his face. “What will you say when they ask you why you let him into the room?” he stalked closer to me.

“He brought me tea. I thought he was trying to comfort me,” I took a step back. Myles was looking a little too dangerous.

“They're going to claim that you tried to seduce him,” he walked closer to me. “Did you Mason? Did you try to take advantage of a defenseless boy? Huh?!”

“No!” I shouted. “He poisoned me!”

“How sure are you that he's the one that did it? It could have been Talia, the cook, or even me. How can you be so sure?” his voice got deeper and venomous. “How do I know you're not lying to me?! You tried to force that boy into something he wasn't ready for and he was just protecting himself. You're disgusting, putrid. You have no morals because you're nothing but a slut. You pretend to be innocent, but you're not.” Myles looked me dead in the eyes accusingly. His voice was so loud that I flinched a few times.

“No,” I sobbed. “I'm not. I didn't. I didn't do anything wrong. He tried to kill me. He cut my face and choked me. Did you think I like it? Huh?! I tried to reason with Heir, but he wasn't listening,” I sobbed. “It wasn't my fault.”

“Come on!” Myles shouted in my face. “How can I believe you, you're just a lying whore. I can't trust you!”

“I'm not a whore!” I shouted as my wolf slowly made her way to the surface. She was telling me to attack, but my mind was telling me to calm down. “Why am I the one to blame? Where's his punishment?! My lip quivered as tears fell down my face. I dropped to the ground on my knees, defeated. I felt like nothing—empty. “Why does everything have to happen to me? I've done nothing wrong!” I wrapped my arms around my sides and keeled over quietly sobbing.

“We both know that—that isn't true,” Myles circled around me looking down at me accusingly.

“Myles?” I wiped some of my tears and stared up at him.

“Tell me!” he shouted.

“Tell you what?” I said bemused.

“Tell me. I'm tired of hearing you're lies,” his boots thudded against the floor roughly. “I was so wrong about you.”

“I don't understand what you're asking!”

“Tell me the truth!”

“What truth?” I looked up. He was blurry from all the tears but nonetheless I could still slightly see him.

“That you're screwing Noah!”