Chapter 8: Jillian's Story...Part 2 (edited)

This is part two of three of Jillian's Story. I hope you like and please comment

Since it was only one in the afternoon, Mrs. Bellows told us that lunch will be ready shortly and that we should listen for the announcement. “Alright girls, lunch starts for the whole house in thirty minutes.”As soon as she gave us our room number and a key, she let us go in and survey. 

Once she placed a key in my hand, I unlock the door. The light was still on and to one side of the room was a girl lying on her back looking at the ceiling. Guess she didn’t hear me coming in or didn't care.

i contemplated weather I should introduce myself or not. “Hi,” I said. “I’m Jillian,” I walked up to her bed and held my hand out.

“Ugh! You’re my roommate?” she sat up and I pulled my hand back. She had long, dark, curly hair that was in a messy ponytail. She was a little overweight and seems to have a permanent scowl on her face. Her eyes were green and there was something feral about them as she stared at me. “That’s your side,” she pointed to the other bed. “Don’t come to my side, don’t bother me, don’t try to talk to me, and we’ll get along,” she lies back on her bed.  

“Can you at least tell me your name?” I asked.

“Crystal, now shut the hell up!” she shouted then turn on her side, facing the wall.

“Fine,” I whispered under my breath and plopped on my bed. Well, that was rude. She reminded me of the girls you avoided during gym class. I walked over to my side and on my bed was a green, plaid dress and brown flats on the floor. On top of my dresser was a basket full of things, like personal items, washcloths and towels, brush and comb, soap, etc… I moved my dress to the dresser and sat down on my bed. It was comfortable enough, but there’s nothing like my own bed. i bunced n it a few times to test it.

There was nothing but silence until lunch began. I followed behind my roommate. Every second she would look at me and scowl. I was just trying to get to the dining room, but apparently Crystal thought I was stalking her.

As we entered the dinning room, I walked pass Cyrstal and found a seat as far away from her as I could. This place was huge. When I say was huge, I meant huge. The walls were all white and had giant pictures of—I’m guessing—the people who founded Victorn Girl’s Academy, before it became an auction house. There had to be at least thirty long tables topped with red and white table cloths. About twelve people or less sat to a table.

At my table, five other girls pulled up chairs. One girl was sickly thin with short brown hair. The other looked older than me and she had straight, jet black hair. None of them spoke. All of them just kept their heads down. I would try to talk to them, but what would be the point? They could be another Crystal.

After a few minutes of sitting in an uncomfortable silence, servers came out to give us our food. I tried to ask what it was that we were eating but they didn’t respond or look at me. The servers placed water, some sort of soup, toasted bread and some sort of sauce in front of us. The 'soup' was green. I was hesitant before I took my first bite and very hesitant afterwards. You would think it would actually taste like food but it tasted like grass. I had to keep from throwing up. It was so disgusting. This is what we have to eat for six weeks? This alone is torture.

The bread and water were the only edible things. The sauce smelled like turpentine and tasted just as bad. It was awful.

After I finished the bread and water, I was ready to leave. I didn't know if we could just get up and go so I waited until the other girls at my table left. This time I decided not to use Crystal as my guide. I doubt I could even find her in this maze of a dining room.