Chapter 11: The Day Before (edited)

This is more of a filler before the action in the next chapter. Hope you like it and please comment

***************************************************************************

“Why can’t someone else go first?” Sammy pouted. "My family isn't all that different than Mason's anyway."

“’Cause.” Angela said.

“’Cause what?” Sammy crossed her arms and rolled her eyes.

“’Cause we said so,” Angela replied. “Come on, we’re all going to tell our stories. Mason and Jillian went, now it’s your turn, then Caroline’s—”

“What?!” Caroline cut in, “I didn't say I was going next. Why don’t you go after Sammy?”

"Hey! Again, who said I was going next," Sammy interjected.

“Because I’m supposed to be auctioned in less than a day...humor me,” Angela shrugged then gave her a playful smile. If I didn't look into her eyes and see the fear, I wouldn't have thought she was faze by the situation at all. I knew she had to be thinking about the day constantly. Unanswered questions that would be rattling in her brain. Why is this happen? What will happen to me? What if he angry? Who will I go to for comfort?

“Actually I think we need to talk about the plan more. It’s supposed to happen tomorrow,” I chimed in. "We have to get serious. We pretty much only have one chance at this. If we don't make it out, we have to consider the alternative. We could die. Knowing Keegan, he'll be standing by the door with a knife waiting to cut us open. We have to make sure nothing goes wrong.

“Right,” Sammy nodded. “So let’s get started.”

*

*

After hours of going over the plan, we were set. It wasn’t perfect but covered the basis and a lot of the possible drawbacks. I just hope that it goes as smoothly and swiftly we planned. I don't want anything to happen to them. I felt like a huge weight as been place on me and I have to tug it around until we get out of this place. I was nervous and doubtful. I fear that everything might come crashing down and there is nothing either of us can do to build it back up.

Even with all the hesitation, doubts, and fear, I would never tell them. I would never make them lose hope. That is why I have to stay strong. We've only got one shot.

“So we’re going to do this after our first class, right?” Caroline asked.

“Yeah. I need all of you to be ready to do your part perfectly. This will only work if we stick to the plan. If Keegan gets a hold of this, we’re dead,” I stressed. “Your aunt is going to be waiting for us, right Sammy? Is she a reliable person. We need her at the spot when we get there.”

“Yeah she is, I snuck into the Headmistress’s office earlier today and used her phone. I’m surprised they don’t have those things wired-tapped. Anyways, my aunt Sydney said to be out of the woods by twelve o’clock. After that she won’t be able to stay without someone catching on. Her van’s going to be running so we have to get in as soon as we get out of the wood, no slowing down. She’s going to pull off if she doesn’t see us by twelve.”

“What an awesome aunt you have there,” Angela said sarcastically.

*

*

The next morning…

Jillian and I woke up at the same time; or rather I woke her up as soon as I got up. She was mad but knew this day was way too important. It was only 4:30 but she started packing up some things. It was just the necessities. We took underwear, toothbrushes, washcloths, combs and we wrapped them in the shirts we wore on our first day here.

“You done?” I asked Jillian.

“Yeah,” she replied. “Mason, whatever happens today, I just want to say that you’re one of my best friends, even though I’ve only known you for this short amount of time. I’ve felt safer since I’ve met you.”

“You sound like we’re about to die or something,” I chuckled dryly.

“It’s just that I want to thank you in case something does happen, that’s all,” a few tears escaped and rolled down her cheeks.  "I-I feel gr-grateful, that's all."

“Nothing’s going to happen we’re going to get out of this place and live our lives like we were supposed to—free,” I walked up hugged her. “We’re going to be running around on a field somewhere having fun with our families someday, you’ll see.”

“I know,” she said before going into the bathroom to take her shower.

*

*

Later that night...

Knock…Knock…Knock

It was almost eight-thirty when the other’s arrived. They had their makeshift bags and they put them on my bed. "Jillian, when you go to distract Keegan, I will come back to the room and grab our things, okay?”

She nodded.

“Sammy, did you get the meat for the dogs?” I asked.

“Yeah, I guess," she shrugged.

"You guess!" I said.

"Yeah,  I snuck out whatever we we’re eating for dinner last night. I have no idea what it is, but it’s meat-like,” she said.

“Good enough. Caroline you got the teachers?”

“Yeah, got it covered. Make a scene and get as many teachers to come to me as possible.”

“Okay, so that leaves Mrs. Bellows and the headmistress to me before I come back and get the bags. Does anyone have any questions?”

“No." they all said in unison.

This was it.. There was no going back now. Whatever happens from now on is left to fate. I don’t know how things are going to pan out but I sure as hell do not plan on dying here. We were going to leave this place and the memories behind us.