Chapter 13: Traitor in the Mist (edited)

Jillian shrieked in pain as the bullet pierced her back. She crumpled to the ground with a hard thud. I could sense the other running back in our direction. I should have known they'd come running back. .

“Jillian, Jillian!” I shouted. She was coughing up blood. She rolled unto her back and coughed up more blood.

"What happened?" Angela squatted next to Jillian. I looked down and watch as blood coated her teeth and she began to heave.

“What are we going to do, what are we going to do?” Sammy stressed. “We have to keep moving or Sydney will leave." She kept looking to see if anyone was listening in. 

“Come on, we can’t leave her here,” I said as I sat in front of her and placed her head in my lap. 

“She’ll slow us down, Mason. We have to go,” Caroline said, pacing. “I hate to say this but she’s going to die. We can’t risk the rest of us getting caught.” I knew deep down she was right. Time was of the essence. But I couldn’t leave Jillian. I couldn’t let her die on the ground alone, not when we've gone through so much together.

“No!” shouted. "I am not leaving her. You all need to go. Go without me."

"We can't, you're our leader. You're suppose to lead us out," Sammy sobbed. "Please don't do this Mason."

"Mason, we need you," Angela ran her hand through her hair repeatedly and started pacing.

“M-Mason, please don’t leave me Mason.” Jillian sobbed. "Mason, p-please," her lips quivered and right then I knew I couldn't leave.

I started running my hand through her hair to comfort her. She was beginning to look really bad. “I won’t leave you Jillian, I promise.” She gave me a lopsided smile followed by a few coughs of blood.

Not long after she started shaking. In my head I was freaking out. She was dying. What was I supposed to do? Her blood was seeping through my dress at a rapid pace. “Do you think my mom and my brother would miss me?” her eyes flickered as  she laughed softy.

“Come on Mason! We have to go,” Caroline yelled. “We don't want to leave you,but we can't wait any longer.” I ignored her and continued to soothe Jillian.

“I’m so sorry Jillian,” Angela croaked. "You hang in there."

“I’m sorry Mason, I just can’t get caught,” Sammy looked at me with such sorrow in her eyes. “Hang in there Jillian. You, ah, you can pull through this. Don’t give up,” she turned around shaking and I knew it wouldn't be long before she started crying.

I turned my head around and they all started fleeing. I didn’t blame them. How could I? The consequences would be bad if they were caught. I just prayed that they got out safe or all of this would have been for nothing. I made my choice to stay with Jillian. No one should die alone. There's no better way to die.

Minutes later, all could hear was the barking of the guard dogs and the faint sound of twigs snapping. I kept telling myself that if they were free, I would be happy. That meant that I was able to help them after all. I wanted to go with them. I wanted to see my mother’s smile again and to hear my dad’s deep laughter. I was so afraid. I was afraid that Jillian was dying in my arms and soon after I would be joining her. 

“Mason, I…I can’t feel my legs,” she sobbed. “I can’t feel my legs. I don’t want die Mason." Tears escaped her eyes and rolled down the sides of her face. I quickly wiped them away.

“Shhh, shhh, it’s going to be okay,” I rubbed her cheeks. They were turning cold and discolored. My heart skipped a beat. “Jillian,” I choked. She didn’t answer. “Jillian.”  Nothing. She was gone. I looked down into her chocolate brown eyes that now retained no life. I closed her eyes. Tears escaped my owns as I held her, sobbing.