Chapter 20: Another Attempt (edited)

A/N

Sorry it’s been a while, I’ve been very busy. This is a short chapter so I will be updating tomorrow as well. After the next chapter, she get's auctioned.

****************************************************************

About two hours and a headache later, Mrs. Bellows excused me. I was told to go straight to my room and not to leave until she came by. So here I am sitting on my bed surveying the ceiling for termites again.

I have been this way for almost four hours. What was taking her so long? Nothing mattered to me anymore, but I knew I had to get Angela out. I felt like something was going to happen to her. She was already traumatized. I had to find away for her to get out. It's my fault she's so fucked up. It didn’t matter whether this was my third strike or what. I just wanted something to go right.

“Ugh!” I shouted out of frustration.

After five minutes I heard rapping noises at my door. I opened it and Mrs. Bellows strolled in. She must have change outfits at least twice a day because she was wearing something completely different. She wore a long black shirt and a crisp green blouse. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail and for the first time, I didn’t see her wearing heels.

She took a seat on my bed and I sat next to her.

"I'm guessing that the door was because of your wolf," she surveyed the hole at the bottom.

I nodded.

“Do you realize what your actions have caused?” she stressed. “Do you know what it is like to be a mate of a council member? They don’t have it better than most mates, they have it worse. We do not get to ever disobey our mate or they will try to kill us in front of our families. Some of the tiniest mistakes will warrant huge punishment. You are not allowed to talk over them. If you do they have the right to cut out your tongue. If you forget to feed them—sick or healthy—they will not hesitate to beat you senseless.”

I sighed and rolled my eyes, “why are you telling me this? You already made it clear that I can't depend on you.”

“Do you really think I am that cruel?” she turned and stared directly into my eyes. I felt like I could not break her gaze if I tried. “I am trying to help you. These little stunts of your will not be tolerated for much longer. When you are auctioned, there will be no one to help you. It will be just you and your mate. If you had tried half of the things you have done here with your mate, you would have been dead your first week there. I mean it. They would have sent your body back to the academy to be disposed of.”

“Like being here is any better!” I snapped. “Keegan killed Caroline and Jillian! Tell me if you think that’s even better. He cut off Caroline's head and sewed her mouth shut. He shot Jillian in the back and left his dogs to feed on her. Somehow I don’t think my mate would be that cruel.”

Mrs. Bellows stood in front of me. “Shut up!” she grabbed my shoulders and shook me. “You will not talk about him that way. He is doing his job. It is you girls that don’t know how to follow the rules!”

“He’s sick!” I spat. I stood on my tiptoes and made sure I was looking directly in her eyes. “I hope he dies.”

Smack!

The force was so strong that I had turned all the way around and fell against my bed. At first I couldn’t process what just happened, but eventually I realized that she had hit me. The stinging in my cheek was nothing compared to the breaking in my heart. I don’t know why it was affecting me this much. Tears rolled down my cheeks and I just sat there with my head down.

“Mason, I…” I cut her off by lifting my hand.

“Get out!” I shouted and my tears flew in different directions. She tried to reach for me but I smacked her hand away. “Get the fuck out my room!”

Mrs. Bellows flinch then turned on her heels and left the room.

*

*

Four days later…

I haven’t eaten since yesterday. There was no point. In two days, I was to be auctioned. I haven’t seen Noah since our whole disagreement. It was for the best though. There was no way he could pay for me. I didn’t like the idea of him asking his father for the money. My parents were another story. Noah and I are…actually, I don’t know what we are. I don’t know if I could ever love him the way he would love me. I don’t think I am worthy of him.

I don’t think I am worthy of anyone. Why do things have to be so complex?

I haven’t been to class in almost three days now. There's really was no need. It wasn’t like I could concentrate on anything. All I could think about was how my life has gone from pleasant to shitty in a matter of weeks. I lost all of my friends in more ways than one and how I will be auctioned to a man I have never, seen, heard or talked to.

Knock…Knock…knock

I got up to answered the door and it was Noah. He gave me a lopsided smile and I let him in. We both sat on my bed and I let him hold me. “What am I going to do Noah?”

“Trust me. I will win you,” he kissed the top of my head and I let out an exasperated sigh. I breathed in his scent and relaxed against his body. I felt safe when he was around. “We will have each other.”

“I hope so,” I said then pulled away from him. “Noah I need you to help me with something.”

“If it involves making your lips warm, hell yes,” he chuckled.

“No, I need you to help me get Angela out,” I said sternly. I stood up and looked down at him. “I’m serious.”

“Mason,” he shook his head, “you know I can’t do that. If I could get anyone out it would be you. I know you want to help your friend, but you have to think of the consequences.”

“I don’t care about the consequences!” I snapped and he flinched. “I just want to make sure she is safe. She’s counting on me,” a knot formed in my throat it it became hard to speak without sobbing. “I was supposed to save them, all of them. Look at us now, I am the last one standing. Sometimes I wish I had died instead of Jillian, but I'm too much of a coward!”

“Don’t say that Mason,” he stood up and hugged. “Don’t you ever say that. Nothing good could become of death.”

“My happiness,” I sobbed. "I just want peace. I don't know how much of this that I can take. I can't forget the lifelessness in Angela eyes. I can't forget how cold Jillian was in my arm while she was dying. I can't rest."

“O-okay, okay,” Noah breathed deeply. “I will find a way to get her out. In the meantime, I want you to stop thinking about death. I want you to keep on living. I want us to be together. That can’t happen if I am watching you get buried.”

“Okay.”

*******************************************************************

A/N

So what do you think? Can Noah get Angela out over Mason?