Chapter 39: Conniving

The next morning, I all but demanded that Myles take me to see Heir. He kept trying to talk me out of it saying that I was “too weak” or “you can barely walk”. If I could survive get chewed by a huge dog, electrocution, and poison, I sure as hell could survive going to see Heir. Myles was not going to stop me.

“Have anyone ever told you how hard-headed you are?” Myles said as he lifted me of the bed and swung one of my arms around his shoulders. “You could have waited a few days to talk to him. It isn't like he's going anywhere.”

“I know but this is for me Myles. I have to know. When I find out why he tried to kill me. I'll be content. I won't have to keep questioning myself—wondering what I've done to deserve it.”

“That's just it. You haven't done anything to deserve this Mason. Heir has lost it. I hate to say it but he has. When I dragged him away from the room, he started laughing and saying that he'd get you eventually. Don't you get it. He's going to try and kill you again.”

“Not if I can help it. Go!” I ordered. Myles stared at me for a few seconds before he started walking. “I will get my answer.”

“I just don't understand what you're looking for, what you're hoping to gain from talking to him,” Myles murmured. I didn't bother to respond. Somehow I don't think he want answer to that.

“Where are you keeping him?” I asked then grimaced. I felt horribly dizzy and sweaty. It was like every few steps I took would exhaust me. “Is he close.”

“Not really,” Myles said dryly. I knew he was a little upset with me, but this wasn't about him. He sighed, “I'll just carry you.”

“No I can—” before I could finish my sentence he had propped his arm behind my calves and swooped up—bridal style.

“I'll put you down when we get there,” he smirked, but then it quickly left his face when we saw his father up ahead. There were two other men walking pass him down the hallway. “What's going on?”

“The boy is going to be sent to the Council. There he will receive a fitting punishment.”

“Myles, I thought you said you talked to him?” I looked up at him and swallowed. “I told you I wanted to talk to him first. You said that you would tell him. What is this?”

“Mason, I didn't know.”

“Put me down,” I tried to say as calmly as I could.

“Mason...”

“I said put me down! God, I just can't trust you Myles!” I snapped. Without a word, he gently placed my foot on the ground and I limped in the direction that the men where going. I had to see him before they took him away. “Heir!” I shouted his name—hoping he'd give me some clue to where he was.

The men had went down a flight of stair. I stood at the top bracing myself. If I were to fall, it would be long and brutal. I took each step with care and precision. Once I got to the bottom, I felt some kind of satisfaction.

The men were going into some room with a huge iron door. The slipped a key into the lock and opened the door. It creaked as they pushed it wider. I tried to peek pass them, but their shoulders were so broad, I got nowhere. I took a few step closer to them. They took a few step forward before turning around and scowling at me. “What the hell are you doing here, girl?” one of the men with a shaved head and big, long nose rudely asked.

“I-I want to talk to him before you took him away,” I propped my chin up and stood my ground. “I am Myles's mate.”

“Is that suppose to mean something,” the bald one said and they both started chuckling.