The Hidden Faces Of Me And He

It was now Sunday evening and I looked outside the the tint of pale blue in the sky, loving the way the street lights glinted off the houses.

I had gone home after that strange encounter with Aaron. I said goodbye to Sam, who had apparently seen the whole thing and gushed about how happy she was that we both were happy. I remember feeling the burning urge to ask her about his mood changes but bit my tongue. His mood changes were none of my business. I had just had to make sure that Sam always saw an illusion of happiness when looking at me and Aaron. But, the truth was anything but.

In his bedroom we were both like strangers. There were no smiles, no manners, no nothing. He had wanted someone to act for his mom and, so, I did. That was where my responsibilities ended. We no longer had an obligation towards each other.

We wouldn't change our behaviour on behalf of the other. I was the uptight nerd and he was the impulsive playboy. I wasn't stupid enough to think I can be the one to 'change the playboy' .

Honestly, in my opinion, I don't think a player changes, despite people believing that they can change for the right person. How could one person make them change.

Nobody changes.

"Alexis! Dinner!" My mom called from the stairs and I heaved a sigh before making my way down the stairs, smiling at the aroma hit my noise.

"Smells good." I said simply, seating myself next to my mom on the living room sofa. We had a dining table, but it felt lonely with just the two of us sat on it, so we had resorted to sitting on the sofa in the living room as we watched TV.

I reached for the plates and placed the spicy chicken rice on both plates before handing one to my mom. This was our routine, where mom would cook and clean on Saturdays to Monday and I would cook on the rest of the days.

"Not as good as your rice." My mom said through bites and I let out a laugh before grabbing the remote and putting on 'Big Bang Theory' because she loved the show. I would love to watch Rick and Morty, but knew my mom would find that inappropriate. So, instead we watched this and I smiled as my mum laughed loudly at the jokes.

"So anything new?" My mom asked, glancing between me and the screen to which I shrugged heavily. The thought of Aaron's deal on Friday came to mind, but I couldn't discuss that, knowing my mom would irrevocably disapprove of it.

"Nothing new." I muttered, bringing the cup of water to my lips and I watched as my mom raised an eyebrow at my words.

"No new friends either? A friend close enough to sleep over at their house?" She asked pointedly, her eyes assessing me and I tensed slightly at the questioning, but kept a calm expression on my face. My mom was much too observant for me to slip up. I nodded wordlessly, acting busy with my food as I finished the last portion.

"Oh yeah, well we're not close friends or anything. We had to get together for a project and it just took longer than planned." I explained, thankful that I didn't stutter. My mom eyed me for a second longer as I placed my plate down and I suddenly felt guilty for lying. But, I couldn't go back now and I stood up with a smile as I gestured to upstairs.

"I'm going to head up now, let me know if you need anything." I said sweetly before turning on my heels and running up the stairs. Thankfully, I wasn't called back and I let out a breath as I lowered myself down onto the bed, giving way into my thoughts about why I couldn't tell my mom. It wasn't mine to tell and I felt as though telling my mum would be an invasion of Aaron's privacy. I let out a sigh at the mention of him, placing my headphones in my ears with no music on, just thinking. About myself, about Aaron, about... that. My mind was going back to it now, more than other days and I tutted loudly in annoyance.

I hadn't told anyone about it and I didn't plan to. It had obstructed many a thing in my life, I couldn't stay behind after school. I had to be home on time and I most definitely could not afford to get close to anyone.

We all have secrets. They build us, morphing us into the person we are to this day. My secret did the same with me, changing me into what I am.

I briefly wondered what Aaron's secret was. Why was he the way he is today? Or was he always like this?

I always wondered what Aaron's real side was. The cocky guy, the player, the funny guy, the sweet guy, the flirty guy, the compassionate guy, the cute guy, the closed guy, the angry guy, the vulnerable guy. Aaron had so many sides and frankly, I was getting confused. Which one was really him?

My thoughts were interrupted by a phone call. I groaned loudly and walked over to my dressing table and looked to the caller ID before cursing. It was true: talk about the devil and he shall appear.

"What?" I said tiredly into the phone. I know I was being a little bit grouchy, but I spent all night sleeping in an unfamiliar home and, so, I kept waking at regular intervals.

"Hello to you too" the voice grumbled, bitterly and I already had enough of his moods.

I sighed.
"What is it, Aaron?" Feeling suddenly drained.

"I see, we both enjoy these conversations" he said dully, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Of course I do, you wanna know which part I like the best?!" I said, faking enthusiasm.

"Surprise me" he said, sarcasm still coating his voice.

"The part where we bid our goodbyes" I said bitter-sweetly

"At least we agree on one thing" he stated, his tone filled with resentment and I tutted heavily before controlling my breathing. I didn't want to start bickering on the phone.

"Why did you call, Aaron?" I said, cutting straight to the point.

"I'm going to the fair with this friend" he said randomly.

"So?" I drawled. I knew we were 'dating' now, but he didn't have to call me just to give me an 'Aaron 411'. I most definitely could live without it.

He sighed, exasperatedly. I could already imagine him running his hand through his hair.
"He's a family friend and my mom told him about you. He said it would be cool if you tagged along with us" he said cooly, showing no interest. If he was a girl, I could imagine him looking at his nails with a bored look on his face. I laughed inside myself.

I sighed over-dramatically.
"But I'm tired." I said, whining. I couldn't help it. I was really tired.

"It's too late I'm already outside." he stated bluntly.

I groaned in frustration before muttering a few choice words and dipping towards the closet.

"Feel free to get dressed into something hot. You're dressing to impress, aren't you?" I heard a teasing l voice say over the phone suggestively.

Lord help me.

__________________________

Can anyone guess Aaron's or Alexis's secret? What are they hiding?
Hope you guys read on!
Love you!