The Newbie

I made a mental note to punch Aaron in the nose for all the unwarranted attention he brought my way. I peeked out from above my 'Othello'  book to see the heated glares of all the females in the class and I cowered back down, scribbling down some notes. It had been a total of 10 minutes since I had arrived and they hadn't relented.

"Hey"

I turned around in the direction the voice came from to see a male on the desk beside me. His hair was chestnut brown, curly and unruly on his head. He was slightly tanned and there were a few faded freckles on the bridge of his nose.

I didn't know him, but I answered him nevertheless.
"Hi" I said, smiling, albeit shyly for it had been a while since people approached me just to say 'hi'.

His green eyes shone as he jutted his hand out towards me.
"I'm Elliot Heffley. I'm new here and was just looking around for a friendly face." He joked, politely, with a small laugh and I tensed slightly at the fact that someone was actually talking to me, nicely without an agenda. It was refreshing and I smiled at him.

I took his hand in my own and shook it.
"Hi, I'm Alexis. Welcome to Redwood High" I said kindly.

He let go of my hand before smiling and I cowered as he scanned my face. When a beat too long had passed, I wringed my hands out awkwardly on my lap.

"What is it?" I questioned, looking up again to meet his eyes.

He smiled as he shook his head with ease.
"I never expected the first person I meet on my first day to be so pretty." He said casually, causing a tint of red to grace my cheeks.

"Oh thanks." I said, laughing at the end, but inside I felt a bit awkward and didn't know how to take the compliment.

He smiled at me before raising an eyebrow in amusement.
"Too much?" He teased and I shook my head, but under his relenting gaze, I nodded with a laugh.

"I can't say I take compliments well, sorry." I let out and he laughed at my words before looking over tepidly to the teacher who was far too busy with reading Othello, a transfixed look in his eyes. With the termly mock tests coming up, English had become more of an independent revision lesson where we would do practice tests and recall excerpts from the novel. The only rule was staying in our seat.

I smiled as Elliot slid his desk closer until it hit against mine to which he looked to me with a small smirk.
"They haven't got me the book yet, so I guess we have to share?" He offered the excuse and I giggled before nudging the book towards him.

"Keep it, I've read and watched the play so many times, I can probably recite it in my sleep." I joked to which he raised an eyebrow.

"Well, I'd pay to see that." He commented, making me scoff as I settled into my seat.

"I'll have you know, I do charge a hefty price." I teased and I fidgeted slightly as he eyed me intensely yet again.

"And, I'll have you know, it'd be worth every penny." He retorted simply, making me blank. I didn't know what to say, so I swiftly changed the subject as we talked about random things. We even organised a time wherein I could help give him a tour around the town and I smiled at the prospect of having some company.

"I don't know what's worse, sitting through this boring lesson or trying to listen to Alexis trying to catch a date" A sharp voice sneered from behind us.

Me and Elliot both turned around to see Britney, in all her golden glory.

I wanted to answer back and say that 'it maybe wouldn't have seemed such a boring lesson, if her brain cells cooperated', but I stopped myself because I knew that I was too mature for this. I wouldn't stoop to her level.

She looked me up and down, a sour look on her face.
"I see you're looking ugly as ever" she sneered. She then walked to the front on my desk and came close to my face, smiling sweetly.
"Don't be under the impression that Aaron likes you and remember where you stand." She said lowly, so only I could hear her.

Elliot's voice interrupted my thoughts.
"If you don't like her then why don't you just to back to your seat, it's not exactly difficult." He said firmly, his arms folded across his chest.

Britney laughed loudly, showing all her pearly whites, before eying Elliot up and down.
"Alexis hired a bodyguard?" She questioned, hands on her hips, a cruel smirk playing on her lips as she turned to me.

I stayed quiet. I wanted to defend myself, but I had to keep one of the vows I had made. To always stay quiet when I was bullied. Talking back would instigate them further and I didn't want that.

Another vow I had made to myself was to never cry. I made this one to make sure that I never seemed weak in anyone's eyes. I had to remain strong.

Britney was about to talk again, but Mr Wilson told her to go back to her seat. She sent me one last glare before returning to her seat behind us.

For the first time, I actually loved something Mr Wilson did and to make matters better, the bell rung only a few seconds after. I ran out, glad to escape the whispers and glares.

I raced all the way to the end of the corridor, in the direction of my locker.

"Wait!"

I turned around to come face to face with a panting, flushed Elliot. He must have been running.
"You ran out of there so fast." He commented and I sent him an apologetic look, not wanting to provide him that the reason of leaving was due to my crippling anxiety. When I didn't speak, he spoke again.

"I kinda wanted to ask you for your number" He continued, his green eyes halting me in place and I bit my lip in contemplation.

I wanted to be at my next lesson on time, so, without thought, I grabbed his arm, writing down my number in blue ink.
"Here you go." I said kindly.

He grinned widely in return.
"Thanks. See you around Alex" He said and with that he walked away.

I laughed at the nickname he gave, shouting bye in his direction. This new guy had come out of nowhere. He complimented me, defended me and took an interest in me without an agenda.

I walked on thinking about how I had obtained 3 numbers in the span of 3 days. My life had changed in the blink of a favour and I felt trepidation at where it would take me.

I only hoped I wouldn't regret it.