What Happened?

Rhett POV

"What was that about?" I hear Sarah say after Link closed the door behind him.

"I have no idea... Lemme go find out."

"Oh okay. I'll come too."

"No. Sarah. It'd be better if you stayed here with Jessie. I think Link would have a better time opening up if it was just me that he was talking to."

"Oh..... Alright Rhett. If you think so. Come back soon and preferably with Link."

"I'll be back soon. I'll see what I can do about Link."

"Okay Rhett. Bye!!!"

I had to go talk to Link and find out what really happened. He wouldn't just walk out in the middle of a conversation like that unless something was wrong. I get in my car and head over to Link's house. When I get there I knock on the door and he answers with a sad "Hi."

He looks up at me and then lets me in. We go to his couch and I sit down with a big sigh.

"So what happened back there? And don't tell me nothing. I know you better than anyone else, man. I know when something's up with you."

Link POV

I don't want to tell him but he is right. Something is bothering me. I just don't want to say it out loud

I sighed. "Alright. As long as you won't tell anyone else."

"I swear. It'll be between you and me only." He looks sincere. I guess I should just tell him.

"Rhett...."

"Yeah?"

"I'm in love with Sarah. I have been ever since the day she left. Seeing her again after 18 years gave me hope that something could happen but then when she said she had a boyfriend... I just couldn't..... I had to get out of there. I didn't want her to see me upset."

Rhett starts to chuckle. "Dude. This isn't funny. Why are you laughing?"

"I'm sorry, man. I can't help it." He bursts out laughing.

"WHAT is so funny about this?"

"I just- I knew you were in love with her. Ever since that day she left. The way you looked at her as she was boarding the plane just screamed to me of love. I never said anything because I never thought we would see her again."

"I honestly didn't think we would see her either Rhett but we can't avoid her now. She lives across the street from you" I say with a chuckle.

"Ever since the day she left you have been talking about her and everything that we did when we were kids. You were your happiest when you talked about her. I even knew when you were thinking about her. You had this toothy smile that would never go away and I knew that's who you were thinking about. Even when you had other girlfriends in high school and even college she was always in the back of your mind and I knew it."

I smiled at the memory.

"See there ya go again. You're thinking about her." My smile fades and I look at the floor.

"I love her Rhett. What should I do?"

"You should tell her."

"Why? You heard what she said. She has Brandon."

"That may be true but I have never seen you look at anyone else like you looked at her today. Not even your last girlfriend Christy."

"Really? You noticed that?"

"It was kinda obvious dude."

"What do I even say to her?"

"Just tell her how you feel. She should know. She needs to know. I think she'll understand."

"I don't know if I should."

"Link, if you don't tell her I will and I think she would prefer to hear it from you than from me."

He does have a point there. Why does he always have to be right about these things? Ughhh I guess I have no choice. But when should I tell her?

"When do I even tell her Rhett?"

"Whenever you feel the time is right."

"You are no help" I say as I shake my head and laugh.

"Sorry but you gotta figure this one out on your own."

"Alright. If you say so" I say with a sigh.

Rhett then gets up and gets ready to leave. "Are you gonna be okay Link?"

"I think so."

"Do you want to come back over or should I just tell Sarah to go home?"

"I don't think I'm gonna come back tonight Rhett. Maybe tomorrow."

"Alright. Well then I'll see you tomorrow."

"Goodnight brother."

He nods his head at me as he closes the door behind him leaving me with my thoughts. Right now the only thoughts going through my mind are of Sarah. When should I tell her?

Rhett POV

I hope Link's gonna be okay. I'm worried about him. Right now I just have to get home and tell Sarah not to worry. I hope she doesn't ask too many questions.

Sarah POV

I see headlights come into the driveway as I sit with Jessie in their living room. Rhett was gone a while. I hope Link's okay.

"Rhett! How's Link? Is he okay? What happened?"

"Hey Sarah. Hey Jess. Link's alright. He just has a lot going on right now. I don't think he'll be coming back tonight and it's getting late anyway. You should go home."

"But I live right across the street Rhett."

"Please Sarah. I need to talk to Jessie.... Just Jessie."

"Oh fine. I guess I'll go home. Goodnight Jessie. Goodnight Rhett" I say as I give them both a hug and head home.

Jessie POV

"Alright Rhett. What happened to Link."

"He's in love with Sarah."

"Oh.... Uh oh."

I didn't know what else to say. I don't believe it. No wonder he never got married....