The Tragedy

A/N

Okay in my opinion this has to be one of the best and funniest Link stories in Rhett and Link history that I have ever heard. Rhett himself has even said that it's the best and funniest story in their history. My version of this story has a little bit of a twist 😉

~K

Link POV

*
*
*
*
*

The date was January 8th, 1999. Rhett, Greg our friend from college, and I were planning on meeting our friends Will, Andy, Dan, and Ben from Buies Creek for a last minute snow boarding rendezvous at Hawksnest resort which was just outside of Boone, North Carolina. We get there at about 5:00 at night since we decided to do a late night run. It would go from whenever you got there to about 3:00 in the morning. So we decided to go for it since we are big into snowboarding. When we get to the resort, we set up our boards and waited to meet up with the other guys from our party. Then we hit the slopes.

It's our first run. Rhett and I in the same chairlift car.

"Rhett I love snowboarding. I am so pumped for this. It's like another adventure."

"Me too Link. I couldn't agree more."

"It- it's so nice up here. There really isn't that much ice on the slopes. I'm really amazed."

The first run was the warmup run. I was getting used to "the park" which is what the run was called. We kept going through the two jumps; a tabletop which is pretty self explanatory, and a much sharper jump. Will, myself, and other more experienced boarders were enjoying ourselves while Rhett stayed away. I guess he wasn't up for the challenge. Oh well.... His loss.

On my fourth time going down the slopes, I had a perfect run. "That wasn't too hard" I think to myself. "I'm gonna see if I can do that again."

"Hey Greg!"

"Yeah?"

"This next jump I'm going all for it. Balls to the wall!!"

He laughed at me and said "Go for it! Just don't hurt yourself, bro."

I head back up the lift with Rhett for my fifth run. Rhett and Will went down ahead of me and I was getting ready to go down. I start going and I'm feelin good. I clear the tabletop jump and land the jump. I then get an adrenaline rush. I decide to lean into the turns more to pick up some speed and I hit the sharper jump.

I heard from a distance "Link! You're gonna bust!" But I wasn't paying attention. I was too far into my run to back out now. I nailed the steep jump, flew over a hill and lost control in midair. I couldn't see the guys after I landed but I couldn't get up either. Something was wrong.

I then see Will come down about a minute later. "Link. Are ya hurt?"

"My hip is hurt" was all I could manage to say.

"Take your board off and walk it off" was his response. I didn't really feel like walking anywhere. My hip hurt too much. I see Rhett come down and then I don't feel to good. I did move out of the middle of the jump but I sat right back down again once Rhett put a caution sign near me.