Chapter three

"Hanina I heard you're going to get married, are your parents tired of you that much?" Laila- the person my classmates and I hate the most asked.
  She is so annoying not to talk of her busy body. Lol
  "Babu ruwanki (it's none of your business)" I greeted my teeth and continued my art drawing.
  "Ah daga tambaya (I'm just asking)" she said before sashaying away, swaying her tiny little butt.
  "Your drawings should be submitted to Khalifa" The art teacher said before ringing the bell indicating the end of the school day.
  I dumped all my books carelessly in my bag and left the class.
  Aaliyah was not in art class with me and Yasir is back at home helping people plan the event for today.
   It felt like torture just thinking about the wedding.
  I'm not ready to get married yet!
  I don't even know the person I'm going to marry!
How confusing is that!!
  It has been 2weeks since Ayman's parents came looking for my hand in marriage.
  I didn't want the wedding but I had no choice, baba said if I did any nonsense he'll send me back to my grandmother in the village.
  And believe me you don't want to meet Hajja my grandma, she is worse than baba.
I go out of the school and met the driver waiting for me. While I was walking to the gate, I could feel people's gaze on me.
  Some I could even hear what they were saying. And it wasn't pleasant at all.
  "Hanina ya makaranta (how is school)" my driver, baba tsoho asked.
  "Lafiya lau Baba tsoho (fine baba tsoho" I replied and smiled.
  We drove away from the school and in no minute we arrived at home.
   Expensive looking cars were starting to line up.
  Today was the day of bringing Kayan aure and putting the date of the wedding.
  I didn't care though, I felt like I'm not even the one getting married.
  "Amarya (bride) an dawo? (Are you back)" Anty Jamila my mothers sister asked.
"Anty na dawo (I am back)" I nodded and went straight to my room. There I meet mama, my two sisters and my other aunties and cousins too.
  The house was too loud for my liking.
"Koh Ranan sa rana ma sai kinje makaranta? (Even on the day of putting your wedding day you must go to school)" my very vibrant cousin, Rahama asked.
  She was eating a ton of different things at the same time.
  "I know right!" Zury butted in.
  I glared at them and removed my uniform "Zury hurry and go back to your husbands house, will you?" I rudely said.
  "Don't you dare talk to you sister like that, nonsense. Saina buge bakin (I'll beat the mouth)" baba comes inside my room and snapped.
  I nodded and took the clothes I needed then I went to the toilet to change.
  As I was changing, tears out of no where started to pour from my eyes.
  Why was baba doing this to me? What did I do to deserve this?
  I can remember quite well, before Zury and Manal got married they were both over twenty.
  Why was the one getting married at sixteen?? I wanted to scream!
  "Hanina ta woku (don't cry)" mama comes in and consoles me.
  "I tried talking to baba but he didn't listen, you know how he is" she sighed.
  "Mama why me? Mai na me (what did I do to him)?" I cried into her shoulder and clutched her dress.
  "Karki yi kuka (don't cry) everything happens for a reason" she reminded.
  "Hauwa!" Baba called mama.
She untangled herself from me and wiped the tears on my face "hurry and get dressed before your dad comes again" she said then left.
  I washed my face and got dressed in a black Abaya with embroidery designs all over it.
  "Wallahi kinyi kyau ( you look very good)" Sadiya another cousin of my compliments.
I managed a smile and sat down by the bed playing with my fingers.
  "Won't you do make up?" Rahama asked "I can do it for you, kinsan naje house of Tara (you know I attended house of Tara)" she continued.
  I shook my head saying no "I don't want to do anything" I replied.
  Manal comes running into the room "sun iso (they are here)" she informed us.
  All the girls squealed and left the room.
I laid down on my bed though and cried my heart out.
   Hours later I hear Mama and my Aunties saying the wedding will be next week before my WAEC exams starts.
  I cried harder into the people. Allah why is this happening to me?!!

*******
AN: I feel for innocent Hanina.. Not knowing the person you're getting married to, how annoying ! 👎🏽