Chapter two

"Hanina go and open the door" Zury pushed me towards the door as her, Manal and Aaliyah enter the kitchen.
  I opened the door and I'm greeted with a friendly smile from a lady.
  "Sannun ku da zuwa (you're welcome)" I smiled and opened the door wider for them to enter.
  "Hanina ke ce kika girma haka (are you the one that has grown this much?)" the Anty asked and then hugged me.
   Her perfume was heaven and she was wearing a richly sowed atampa (wrapper).
  I hugged back and released her and then all the other guest came.
  I greeted her husband and then an older looking lady maybe Zury's age.
  "Jabba ma mon (you are welcome)" Baba said as he exchanged pleasantries with them.
  I don't remember ever seeing them.
"Hanina come sit beside me" the Anty said and tapped the place next to her.
  I politely nodded and sat beside her with a smile on my face.
  "How is school?" She asked.
  "School is fine, alhamdullilah" I replied and played with my fingers.
  Their eyes were all on me. Baba was talking with the husband while Zury and the other lady were talking.
  "Have you finished? Or are you in your final year?"
  "Final year Anty" I answered.
  "Oh that's good, you can still cope with it in your marital home" she nonchalantly said.
  I stared at her and tried to find a coherent thing to say.
"Anty what do you mean by marital home?"
  "You're marrying my son, Ayman" she said.
  I turned and looked at baba then mama, aren't they going to say anything?
  "Baba when did this happen?" I asked. Not caring about speaking Fulfulde.
  "It happened since, we have been planning it" Baba replied
  "But... but.. bu..t" I stuttered "I am still in school and I'm just sixteen"
  "Yes Ayman will help you with your school work and age is just a number" now Ayman's dad spoke.
  "Baba this can't..." Baba cuts me off.
  "Hanina we are your elders we know what's good for you, now shut up and let the elders talk" baba shuts me up.
   I sat back down and buried my head between my knees.
  Tears started pouring from my eyes as my so called wedding got planned right under my nose.