Chapter twelve

~~ this is who I imagine to be Hanina.

"Hanina you are to bring all those assignments tomorrow if not you'll repeat because you're way behind" my class teacher Mr Ram said

  he had a stern look on his face whereas I was trying to plead with him with my eyes.

   I had 4 textbooks and 5copybooks on my table which all contained assignments that are to be submitted tomorrow

  because of the days I missed I was far behind and on the verge of repeating. I felt like crying. I wasn't a dull student but I wasn't that intelligent either. I was just average.

  my school compiles all our ss3 grades before we start all those exams - WAEC, NECO etc and we will be starting by next week.

  "hanina did you hear me?" Mr Ram asked standing up from his table which was pushed against the wall in front of the class

   "yes sir" I muttered looking down at all the books.

  "don't say I'm being mean or anything the teachers wanted to put 30 in all the blank-spaces, I had to beg them not to do it" he said yet again.

   I nodded and smiled at him thanking him with my eyes. I don't blame him for any of this.

  I blame my parents for putting the date of the wedding when I had school.

The bell for break rings and all the student except Yasir, Aaliyah and I rushed out.

   I had already told them I wasn't going out for break today. I was the centre of gossip. Everywhere I go people point at me and say things.

   "I'll help you with English and Science" Aaliyah offered, her black hair boucing up and down.

  I grinned and passed her the two textbooks.

   "and I'll help with Chemistry and Maths" Yasir said grabbing the text books and keeping it on his side of the table.

  I squealed, jumping up and hugging them both. What would I do without my amazing friends ?

  "thank you guys, I'll do Biology and physics the main ones" I said.

   the rest were art, language and religion, they weren't hard.

    "great, I'm hungry" Yasir said rubbing his stomach.

   "I'll go and buy, yasir you'll pay" Aaliyah said motioning for Yasir to give her money.

   "I want pizza and Pepsi" I smiled.

  "evil rats, why wont you guys use your money?" Yasir pouted but nonetheless he gave her the money.

   "I'll be back in a jiffy" she muttered before leaving the class room.

   "how is you" Yasir asked tracing the lines of the almost faded henna on my hand.

   "me is fine" I replied.

"hanina is there something you want to tell me" he asked looking at me with the side eye.

   did he find out about Ayman being a drunk? Oh no.

I cleared my throat and ran my hand through my hair.

  "no not really" I denied.

"oh so you're saying there's nothing you want to maybe ask me?"

   "nope" I popped the 'p'

"well you know yesterday I was at the mall when I bumped into a girl" he started his penetrating gaze making me uncomfortable.

   "ehen, go on"