Chaoter thirty six

"hey baby"

"I know you're hearing me in there. I miss you soo much and I can't wait for you to wake up"

"it's been a month Ayman. I need you to wake up and did I forget to say happy birthday? Happy 21st birthday my baby. I baked a chocolate cake for you. I shared it to the people in the hospital"

"not much stuff have been happening. Safaa gave birth by the end of November. It was a girl! Her name is Amshalynn, oh my god Ayman she's so cute"

Nina kept talking. All the things she said I had the answer. The only thing was that I couldn't day them out. I heard every single thing she said.

I felt utterly bad, helpless and useless.

"How do I know if you're awake or not?? I'm going to leave now, so that you'll rest"

no! I panicked.

don't leave! I'm not tired of your voice.

"bye Aymaanuu, I love you"

oh my Nina, I love you too.

*****

Ayman is still the same. He's always in the position I see him. The heart monitor is always beeping slowly. Nothing is changing.

the doctors have informed us that his legs and ribs have healed, his swellings also They're just waiting for him to wake up.

on normal basis he's supposed to be awake by now. I walked out of Ayman's room and closed the door quietly.

the hallway was quiet with only a receptionist there.

"Hanina!" I turned to see mommy jogging my way.

she had a black gown and veil on.

"hey mommy, what're you doing here?"

"the doctors wanted to talk to you and they said I should come too" she informed.

I nodded and walked together with her.

why did they want to talk to me?

we entered the elevator and arrived at the floor above Ayman's floor.

"this is the office" mommy knocked and minutes later, she gets ushered in.

we exchanged greetings with the doctor who was none other than deeju. She was sitting beside a huge oak table, several documents and files scattered on her desk.

she smiled and told us to sit in front of her, she was wearing a black jumpsuit and had on a beige turban as her head gear.

"I'm to leave for a meeting soon so I'm going to be quick" she started "Ayman's injuries have all healed but he still isn't up"

we nodded hanging onto each word she said "that's not good. I don't understand why he still isn't awake. We've discussed with the doctors and your mother in law. We think it's best if we pull him off life support"

my heart beat accelerated as my face paled and my hands start to shake.

"Mommy you agreed to it?"

mommy stared at me with guilt in her eyes "Hanina I love my son but we have to do what's best for him. If he's already dead why not just let him rest"

I stood up abruptly from my seat. The dark office starts to spin in my head.

"the heart monitor is indicating that he's alive! By taking him off life support you're killing him yourself!" I snapped.