Chapter 11

{{{{ silly, silly girl. You thought he actually liked you. }}}}

************************************
Mia
****
I spend most of my Sunday sleeping. I don't want to think about what happened. I had known better. I didn't belong at those kinds of party's. I didn't belong with those kinds of people.
Jessy was angry, she felt like this had all been her fault. I told her it wasn't. But she still felt guilty, for whatever reason. I told her what Lex had said about me and her staying away from them. She had told me that Lex wasn't her damn boss and that he could kiss her ass. She had also told me that I shouldn't let Lex or those people at the party, keep me from having a good weekend. She was right but I still didn't feel like doing anything.
Monday morning I woke up, feeling a little better but I still wasn't in the mood for any shit. And sure enough, when I see my desk I have a mountain of papers on my desk waiting for me. I am not in the mood for this today but I keep my mouth shut and start my work.
By the time it's lunch, I have three new paper cuts and a splitting headache. Just when I click out to take my break I see Doctor Hart dump some more papers on my desk. Are you freaking kidding me? He looks up at me and grins. I know he has it out for me for some reason and it is starting to drive me crazy.
I head to a near by restaurant and order some soup. While I wait I look out the window to see the rest of the world passing by. It's just another sunny day for L.A. A SUV parks in the parking lot and I think of Lex. He wasn't a good guy, I know that, but I feel like there had been something pulling us together. Desire. Probably. But it also felt like an invisible rope that yanked me to him. That rope had to be cut. Around him I was only going to get in trouble. And I was glad that he had cut it because I don't know if I could have.
I had never wanted to be with a man, in that way, until I met him. I had kissed before, I had made out before, but I had never wanted to give myself to a man before. And I had wanted to do just that with Lex. Good thing I hadn't. He would have left me just as soon as it was over, I'm sure. He was right, I would have felt something for him that he wouldn't have for me.
I hate that he was right.
I hate that he had called me out.
I hate that I had assumed he had kissed that girl.
I hate that he couldn't have liked me as much as I liked him.
But out of all this, I don't hate him. He wasn't a good guy but I don't think he is a bad guy either. Yes, he is part of a gang. He sleeps with girls and doesn't care about them. He has probably killed before. He has probably stole before. God only knows the horrible things he has done but I just can't see that he is a bad guy. I know that he is bad but when I saw him smile, all I could see was the good in him.
And....
Three men step out of the SUV.
Two of them a large scary looking men.
And then the one.
Odd.
He looks familiar.
He is dressed in an expansive looking suit.
His hair is dark and graying at the sides.
This man seems to think himself important, I can tell by the way he carries himself. He takes a draw from his cigarette and then tosses it to the ground. He steps on it and walks into the restaurant. The two men follow behind, one on either side, as if they are his guards.
My eyes watch these men closely. The important one waves away the man who greets him. My eyes widen as the man walks right up to my table. And he smiles at me.

"Miss Martinez. How are you?"

My eyes widen more.

"How do you know me, sir?"

He sits, opposite to me. The other men stand close by but do not sit.

"You, miss, are too easy to find. You should be more careful. Especially, since you have been seen with my son so much."

My soup arrives but my eyes don't leave his face. This is Lex's father. Except for the lack of tattoos, Lex looks just like him. The waitress asks if he would like anything but he waves her away. I don't touch my soup. Or my drink. I just look at him, wondering why he is here.

"Is there something I can help you with, sir?"

He folds his hands and leans back in his seat. And like how I have seen his son do many times, he studies me.

"You are a beautiful girl. I can see how Alex has taken a liking to you."

I don't know what to say so I don't say anything.

"I'm sure you must be wondering what I am doing here. You see, I like to keep an eye on everything that is under my responsibility. And Alex, though he may be grown, is still under my watch. So, that means when he becomes close some else, I like to know about that person's intentions."

Is this man serious? He is asking me about my intentions with Lex? He should be more worried about Lex's intentions with me!

"I'm sorry, sir. But I have no intentions. I simply liked your son but there is no need to worry. He made it clear that he doesn't want to see me again."

"So, you were just a one night girl? Funny, I wouldn't have thought that of you. I don't care who he sleeps with but when he becomes interested in more than just one night with a girl, I like to know a little bit more about the girl. Alex has his favorites. Girls that he....visits more than just once. But I have never known him to.... Hang around a girl, like you, for more than just a fling."

I am offended. And I'm sick of people assuming I slept with Lex!

"Well, sir, I can assure you that I am not one of you're sons whores. And from what he said I won't be seeing him again anyway. So, I'm sorry but you have worried yourself over nothing."

I get the impression that I have impressed him somehow. Which I find ridiculous. What did he expect, that he could just talk to me however he wanted. That I wouldn't talk back to him. This man is powerful, any one can see that, but he is nobody to me. And he has ruined my lunch. I take my money out of my bag and he holds up a hand.

"I will take care of your bill. And I'm sorry to have bothered you."

"Don't worry about it," I stand and slap the money on the table.

I hadn't even tasted my soup and now I felt sick. I stump my way back to the doctors office. Just as I sit, Doctor Hart tosses down more papers.

"I expect you to have all these papers put up in twenty minutes. It doesn't look good for your desk to be so piled up. Get it done."

I have had it!

"You, Doctor Hart, can kiss my ass!"

The entire office stops. Doctor Hart turns to look at me.

"What did you just say?"

The people waiting in the waiting room watch me. I feel the heat feel up my cheeks and I push it back down. Not anymore! I refuse to be a push over anymore!

"I said you can kiss my ass!" I stand and take a fist full of papers and toss them in his face. "You can file you're own damn papers!"

I grab my bag and excuse my behavior to the people in the waiting room and then walk out. I hear some clap as I go. I feel like a total bad ass.

(Don't we all wish we could tell the boss to stick it where the sun don't shine! I love this chapter for that alone.)