Chapter 16

°°°° We all knew he liked her, long before he told anyone. Maybe even before he knew himself. We could all see it in his eyes when he looked at her. If she was the sun, then he was a child seeing it set for the first time.
-falling for you.°°°°

************************************
Lex
****
I sit back to finish the tattoo. She stood up for herself with Nicki, in a big way. And I am impressed. She handled it like a pro. The guys like her and the fact that she hadn't taken any of Nicki's shit.
I have told Nicki not to show up at my shop with any drama. I should have known I had been wasting my breath. Chris had told me how Nicki could be but at the time I hadn't care. Now, I am paying the price for having fucked around with a girl like that. But she really needs to get a grip. Nicki can't come in raising hell like that. I have too much shit on my plate to have to be dealing with her drama too.
Once I am finished putting the last minute touches on the tattoo, I send them up to the front desk for Mia to take the payment. I'm cleaning up when my phone buzzes. A text. From my father.

'I need you and the guys to come by the office tonight. Around 9:30.'

I text back. 'OK'.

Damn. That means that Mia will have to close up by herself tonight and it's her first night. I can't cancel with my father. He would have a fit. I will just have to go over everything with her before I go. My next appointment isn't for another hour. I have some free time.
I head up to the desk to explain to Mia that I won't be here to close. She looks nervous at first but I walk her through everything that needs to be done. She is a smart girl and I have no doubt that she will do fine. I can feel that she wants to ask me where I am going. Why I have to leave. But I would rather her not know. It's safer for her if she doesn't know everything about me.
I still can't believe that I actually gave her this job. Stupid move. Working here will only cause me to want her even more. Seeing her all the time. Having her close. But maybe that's why I offered her the spot, so I could keep her near. I know that's why I did it. But I don't like admitting that to myself yet. I rubs me the wrong way to know that I actually like this girl so much. It's kinda starting to freak me out a little.
I had stayed with her all night until the early hours of the morning. I had watched her sleep until my eyes had finally closed. I had cuddled her, kept her close to my side. She had snuggled in under my arm. Laying her head on my chest at one point. And I had liked it.
I never cuddle.
Not even after sex.
Especially not after sex.
Heartless?
Probably so.
But with Mia, I had wanted to lay beside her.
To feel her body next to mine.
I know that things with Mia are getting too serious. I should start to push her away. To keep some distance between us. But I guess I fucked that up by giving her this job. Deep down, I just don't care.
The guys are going to question me about my decision later, I know. And when they do I am simply going to say I was helping out a friend. Chris is the only one who knows that I am....into her. At least, I hope he is the only one who knows. I'm not in the mood to hear any of their shit about it.
Mia is busy with a phone call a little while later and I sit back in my chair and watch her. She is so damn beautiful I can hardly stand it. And different. To see her, you wouldn't assume, that someone like her would have a book of poems from Edger Allen Poe. And then she has another side. A side of being a care giver. She feels that it is her job to keep things going at her grandmother's house. To take care of her grandmother and work and take care of the house.
In a way I think she even takes care of Jessy. Who really has no one expect for Mia and her grandmother. Mia takes care of everyone around her and I wonder what she meant by saying she would take care of me.
I am desperate to know what she meant. I wish I could read her mind. That would help a lot. And I wonder what she is thinking of right now. She is now, leaning back in her chair. Twisting a piece of her long black hair around her finger. She is looking off into space. Deep in thought. She bites her bottom lip. I want to taste those lips again. Badly.
She senses my gaze and looks over to meet my eyes with hers. I don't lower my gaze. I just sit and watch her. She eventually turns a pretty shade of pink and looks away. My next appointment comes and goes. Before I know it, it's time to leave. Chris is ready for me. And I tell him to wait out front. The other artists will finish up and help Mia if she needs any help. Before I leave I lock my office. And toss Mia the keys.

"You're gonna need those to lock up."

She blinks. "Okay."

I can tell she wants to ask me something but she doesn't. She just stands there with her gaze lowered and here hands holding tightly together. And I wonder what she will say if I ask her.....

"Will your bedroom window be unlocked tonight?" I ask.

She smiles. "If you want it to be."

I lean over the desk and kiss her cheek. Then I whisper in her ear.
"I'll see you tonight then."

I leave the shop with a idiotic smile.

~°~
Mia
****
I lock the door and say goodbye to the guys who were so nice in helping me out. It's surprising how they all just seem to expect me. They aren't at all what I thought they would be. I guess I had been a little judgemental when I first visited the shop, thinking that these guys were scary. Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't like to get on their bad side but they all seemed to be okay with me.
The drive home is short. I get out of my car and race inside. I want to be in bed before Lex gets here. I shower and get into my pajamas quickly. The window is still unlocked. So, now I wait.

(Thank you all for reading and voting!!)