Chapter 59

(♡˙︶˙♡) now your just a stranger who knows all my secrets (♡˙︶˙♡)
************************************
Mia
****
"Is something burning?" the girl working with me asks.

"Oh, shit!"

I open the stove and black smoke rushes out. I cough while waving it from my eyes. The girl makes apololgys to the few customers who are still waiting for their coffees. I'm very behind and honestly I suck at this job. I was an idiot for even accepting it.
And then like a hero, Nick is beside me. Helping clean up my mess and with lighting speed he dishes out the coffees. I feel bad. I'm causing more trouble than helping. And sweet Nick doesn't say a word about my short comings. Instead, he is kind and understanding.

"Don't beat yourself up too much."

I smile. "Thanks, Nick."

"No problem."

Nick gives me a friendly pat on the shoulder before he returns to the back. He is incredibly nice. I know that I am very lucky to have such a sweet boss.

"You know, I think he likes you," the girl says. And for the life of me I can't remember her name. Kelly? Yes, Kelly.

"Nick? No, I don't think so."

I focus on scrubbing my burnt muffin pan. But Kelly doesn't leave well enough alone.

"Oh no. He likes you. I've never seen him give someone a job the way he did you. And look at all the mistakes you're making and he just comes out and fixes them all. Like it's all good. No big deal."

I roll my eyes. "You're wrong. He's just a nice guy."

"Yeah. Well, he's never been that nice to me."

I ignore her grumbles. She's wrong. I know it. Even if she doesn't. Working has been good for me, even if I make a lot of mistakes. It's gotten me out of the house and with New Years just two days away, it's given me a chance to start off the next year right. Yes, another year has come and gone. And it amazes me how much I have changed in this last year. I'm not the person I thought I would be. Not at all. Nothing has turned out the way I had it pictured in my head.
I thought that I would be living on my own by now. I thought a lot of things but they didn't work out. I'm giving it my best shot to getting my shit together.
When my shift is over, I stand outside the café, and wait for my taxi. My feet hurt. My back hurts. Everything on my body is sore and tired. I've never been so excited to go to bed. To relax. While I wait, I grab my phone out of my bag.

'Love u. Thinking of u.'

The text is from Jess. Who is still in France. She and Chris are traveling around for a while. And I learned last evening that they have Oscar. He has been with them since I left. While Lex is M.I.A.
I haven't gotten anymore calls or texts from him. Not in the last few days. I should be happy about that. And a part of me is. But deep in my heart, is a bit of disappointment too.  I suppose I shouldn't be disappointed, I left him. He asked me not too and I did anyways. I guess it's like they say, every girl wants a guy to fight for her. Even if it will never work.
It hurts to think that he might, probably has, moved on. It hurts to think that another girl is probably with him now. I can't stand the thought. Just the thought of him with someone else sends flames over my skin.
It just doesn't feel right to think of him with someone else. He is mine. But he isn't.
Not anymore.
I gave him up.
But only because I didn't want to drag it out. Which might be absolutely ridiculous sounding but why be with someone you don't have a future with?
I want to hate him. I want to have some reason for me to be glad I said goodbye. But I don't hate him. I love him. I love him so much that everytime I find myself thinking about him, like I am now, it feels like a hole has been punched right through my chest.

"Hey? You okay?"

I jump. Nearly dropping my phone. It's Nick.

"Yeah. I'm good."

He gives me a curious look.  "You need a ride?"

I'm surprised by his offer. I shake my head. "No. I have a taxi on his way. Thank you though."

He grins sweetly.  "It's just a ride, Mia. Come on."

I look around. As if someone would judge me for accepting his offer. As if I would be cheating. Oh! For the love of everything good and Holy!

"Yeah! Okay."

I hurry after him. I follow him to his old pick up truck. The door is hard to open and Nick is there to take the handle from me, insisting to open the door for me. He waits until I am buckled before driving off. On the radio is old country music and I can't help but compare everything about Nick to Lex. They are the exact opposite of each other.
Nick is just so different. Easy to get along with. Sweet. Kind hearted. In fact, I don't think I've heard him say a bad word or say anything mean about anyone. He's just so simple.

"I'm sorry that I've caused so much trouble today."

Nick raises a golden brown and grins. "Ah, heck. That's alright."

It's the first time that I've really ever noticed that he does have an southern accent.

"Where are you from?" I find myself asking.

His smile gets bigger. I can tell that he is glad I'm interested.

"Kentucky."

My eyes widen. "How did you end up here?"

He shrugs. "After high school, all I wanted to do was get out of that small little. And now all I want is to get back there."

"How long have you been here? In L.A. I mean."

"About seven years. I left when I turned eighteen. Came out here. Bought the café and I've been here ever since."

I tell him where to turn and go back to my questioning. "Why do want to go back?"

"I guess because L.A. wasn't as big a deal as I thought it was. I want a simpler life. California just isn't for me. And now that I'm ready to settle.
I'm twenty five now. And I know people around here think that's still plenty young but where I come from that's about the age folks start getting settled. And I'm thinking it's about that time for me."

It isn't until he has stopped speaking that I realize how closely I've been listening. His eyes meet mine and I look away.

"So, why did a country boy like you want a coffee shop?" I ask.

He chuckles. "Well, I wanted to open a bar. That was the dream when I was younger but it just kinda happened."

I nod. Understanding perfectly how things just kinda happen without you meaning them too.
But then the conversation turns and I become uncomfortable.

"What about you? You always lived here?"he asks.

I nod.

"Do you like it here?"

I shrug.

"Do you think you'll always want to be here?"

I shake my head. "No. One-day, I want to get as far away from here as possible."

I can't believe I just admitted that to him and I blush.
Thankfully, he pulls up right in front of Alice's apartment.

"Thank you for the ride."

He smiles warmly. "No problem. If you need a ride tomorrow, I can pick you up if you'd like?"

I should say yes. It was nice getting to talk to someone besides Mawmaw and Alice but....

I start to shake my head no and then he says....

"I'll pick you up around four."

And then he is gone. I roll my eyes. I hate these early mornings!

(Hope everyone had a great holiday!!)