Chapter 77

++++ A happy marriage is about three things... Memories of togetherness... Forgiveness of mistakes... And a promise to never give up on each other... Surabhi Surendra... ++++
************************************
Mia
****
"I don't like Churches," Lex grumbles as we climb the steps of the church hand in hand.

"Lex, come on now. Your mom was Catholic and so were my parents. We don't have to get married here but we still need someone to preform the ceremony and why not start here?"

He sighs and opens the door.

"Wow."

Yeah, wow. It's magnificent!

"Holy sh-" Oscar starts to say before Lex swings around and points a finger.

"Watch your mouth!" Lex snaps. "Even more so in here. We're in Church."

Oscar nods his understanding, for once Oscar doesn't argue with Lex, but I still find it cute. Oscar looks around in amazement. Heck, we all do. It's just so beautiful.

Jess and Chris come in shortly after us. Both of them are so happy. I wonder when they will tie the knot. They have been looking for houses in Savannah as well, neither of them wanting to stay behind with us being so far away. It hadn't surprised me at all when they said they would make the move with us. Afterall we are all family.
John will look into finding a home there later on but Mawmaw made no argument about moving to the new house with us. Saying that someone will need to be there to make sure everything is well kept. In which, I told her that her time being the caregiver was over and it would us who took care of her. And then she had flown into a rant about her not being too old to tend to her family and that she would do as she saw fit. Lex had told me to just let her have her way. He didn't care about what Mawmaw did just so long as she was healthy and happy. In the end, I agreed with him. 
When the topic of who was going to perform the ceremony, John suggested  a priest who had been close to Lex's mother. The same priest who performed Lex's fake funeral. At first, I found it strange to have the same man marry us, when he had put Lex to fake rest. But then John had explained how the priest had known Miranda all her life and they had been very close, so I changed my mind. Lex had liked the idea, until we were asked to come in for a meeting. It seems that he really, really, doesn't care for Churches.  So, I have to ask.

"Lex, what's so wrong with being in a church?"

He looks away from me. I can tell he doesn't wanna talk about it but I can't help but wonder why. I don't push him though. A few minutes later, while we are waiting, he opens up.

"The last time I was in a Church was when my mother died. I remember her laying just up there. Her face was pale, she was cold, and at the time, I hated everyone. Even this man, we are about to talk too. He had patted my shoulder and told me she was in a better place, all I wanted was to have her back."

My heart hurts for him. I squeeze his hand.
"If you don't want to talk to him or be here, I'll understand."

He nods and grins half heartedly.
"Nah, I'll be alright as long as you're with me."

I lay my head on his shoulder. Chris sits up from behind us to say something in Lex's ear. It's funny that sometimes I forget how close those two are. Chris truly is Lex's brother. In some many ways, those two have leaned on each. A lot like me and Jess. Who would have guessed we would all be where we are today. Things have changed so much in this last year, it's crazy.
Not long after we sit, we stand again to shake hands with the priest.
Surprisingly, he is a nice looking man, a bit on the small side, especially compared to Lex and Chris. He welcomes us warmly and invites us to his office. After speaking with us all, he takes us on one at a time. Mostly me and Lex. Oscar goes first. I wonder what he is asking him and heaven only knows what Oscar might be saying. Several times, I hear them laughing.
Oscar comes out, with a pleased smile.  And Jess and Chris, being the maid of honor and best man, they speak with him too. Apparently, it's to check on us and make sure this is something that we want to do. Which I find silly but I don't argue either. It isn't long before I am called into the office. As I stand, Lex holds my hand tight, not wanting to let me go, but I give him a reassuring nod before I leave him.

I sit down in the chair across from his desk.  He asks me if I need or want anything to drink before we get started but I thankfully refuse. He sits, looks me over and smiles. Not in a creepy way but more in a greatful way. As if I have done him some kind of favor.

"Miss Martinez, you have no idea how pleased I am to meet you."

"Thank you," I say.

He sits back in his chair. "How is your relationship with Lex going?"

I blink. Not knowing how much I should tell him.
"I suppose you could say things were difficult in the beginning but we have worked everything out so far."

From this I get an understanding nod.

"I imagine that it was. Considering how difficult Lex can be. Forgive me, but I must say, this was the last thing I ever expected from him. You must be a very remarkable woman, Miss."

I blush. "I dont know about that but thank you all the same."

"I don't mean to cause you any.... What I mean to say is that, you must be someone very special for him to care so much for. I've known him since he was a baby, and I have had my doubts about him ever settling down, yet here he is, getting married. So, I'm just thrilled for you both. Now, how well do you know of Lex's past?"

I raise a brow. "You mean?"

"I know of most of his 'wild adventures'.  I was wondering if you did? Just to make sure you know the man you are about to spend the rest of your life with?"

"Sir, I've seen the best of him and wrost. If you're asking me if I know what he does for a living, yes I do. But I really believe that the bad part of his business is behind him now. Too much has happened for it to be any other way, I think. I want a good happy life with him, and I believe he does too."

I can tell how pleased he is with my answer. We talk a while longer, about my parents, what I would like to be said at the wedding, and my future hopes for my life. By the time, I have finished, I find that I really like the man.  He brought up some good points and I really believe that he wants the best for me and Lex. As Lex steps inside the office, I wonder what they will say. I wonder what he will be asked, what his answers will be? But mostly, I wonder if Lex's 'wild adventures'are really all over?

(Guys, I'm so sorry for the late update. This week has been a stressful one. The next update will be this weekend and it will be an exciting one! Thank u all for hanging in there with me and Lex and Mia! You are all so very appreciated!)