Chapter 87

¥¥¥¥¥ Home is a safe haven. Warm, cozy, and welcoming. You are my home. ¥¥¥¥¥
.***********************************
Mia
****
A week after we returned home to Savannah, I still haven't started yet. 
But I've kept my mind busy. Unpacking boxes and setting up our new home has given me plenty to do.
Mawmaw of course, has helped as best she can. Her and Oscar's room had already been set up by the time we returned.
They had done somethings but I've taken over the decorating.
And I've enjoyed myself so much.
Lex has been in a much better mood and even helped pick out the paint for our bedroom.
We decided together on a soft blue. And it was nice making a decision together, the way a husband and wife should do things.
I haven't said another word on the subject of the new tattoo shop. And neither has he. I suppose neither of us wanted to fight or discuss it again. But this discussion isn't completely over yet either. And we both know that too.
For now, things are peaceful and for that I am greatful.
No texts at night, no phones to be answered in another or outside.
Everything is so....normal.
Everything except my period.
I finally get up enough nerve to get a test.
Even though, my wedding ring shines brightly on my left hand, I feel a bit shy while buying my test. Like I've done something very wrong by needing a pregnancy test. Silly nervous energy!
I head straight home, right upstairs, and lock myself in the bathroom.  Lex is playing catch with Oscar outside, Mawmaw is in the kitchen baking a pie, so I shouldn't be bothered by anyone.
I take out the test and read the directions twice. Okay, now or never.
I hold the stick under myself and end up peeing more on hand than the test, but I end up hitting the target eventually.
I pace back and forth. Waiting the few minutes to let it work. It's the longest minutes of my life. I count. Then lose count, so I start over again.
Finally, five minutes later, I look down onto the counter.
My heart drops.
Negative.
A knock on the door.
My heart jumps.

"Who is it?" I scramble to hide the test. 

"It's me."

Damn Lex!

"Okay. Hang on."

I toss the test in a drawer and unlock the door. His concern is written on his face.

"You okay?" he asks.

I nod. "Yeah. I'm fine."

But I'm not fine at all.  I had hoped. Stupid hope. Even though right now probably wasn't the best time to have a baby, I still want one. I want a child with my husband. In my heart though, I know now isn't the right time.

"You're lying," his voice is calm and soothing. "Just tell me, Mia. What did the test say?"

I blink at him in shock. "How did you know?"

He smiles. "You still haven't started. You past up the wine at dinner last night and you were sick before we left Fiji. And then today, you said you were running to town and didnt want me to come along. So, you went to get a test. What did it say?"

I blink at him again. "I didn't realize you were paying that much attention."

He reaches out to touch my cheek. "Mia, I know we have had a rough start to this marriage thing but that doesn't mean that I love you any less or that I don't want to know what's going on with you."

I sigh and lean into his touch. I've missed this so much.

"So," he asks. "What did it say?"

I take a deep breath. "Negative. No baby for now."

A painful look crosses his face. "I'm sorry for that. I know how badly you want a child. It will happen, Mia. Just give us some time."

I nod. He takes me into his arms. Holding me for what seems like forever.

Later on, I tell mawmaw about the test and results. She does a little math and then smiles.

"Honey, you've taken the test too early. It should be another week or two before you could really be able to tell anything."

I'm confused. "But I'm late, Mawmaw. Really late."

She waves her hand. "Honey, every woman's pregnancy is different.  But I'll tell you this, when I first found out I was having your mama, I didn't believe it. I had had two periods while I was pregnant and thought I had the stomach flu, I was three months along when they told me. And then when you're mama got pregnant with you, well, she never felt a thing diffently. She had no clue until she realized she hadn't bled for nearly two months. Everyone is different, sweetheart. And Lex wants a baby. Don't look at me like that, he told me himself that he hoped your were pregnant."

And just like that my hope is restored.