Chapter 61

👑 ~_~ For a king is nothing without his queen ~_~ 👑
************************************
Mia
*****
Lex walks towards me. The fog parting for him as he comes forward. He is so handsome, I want to run to him, put my arms around his neck.
But as I take a step to him, I'm stopped by the chains around my ankles and wrists.

"Lex! Help me!"

But it's as if he can't hear me. Surly, he sees me. He is coming right towards me. So, close that he is going to run me over. His eyes do not see me standing before him. Just before our bodies collide my eyes squeezed shut, bracing myself for the impact. But he simply walks right through me. Like I'm a ghost.
I turn to watch him walk away.
I call out for him.
Beg him to come back, but he doesn't.

I jump up in my bed. Another dream.
My shift starts in two hours. I don't bother trying to fall back asleep. I don't think I can handle anymore of these dreams.
Nick has been picking me up for the past two weeks and in that time I have found a new friend. Nick is sweet and kind. Funny and caring. Every morning, he gets me a muffin and coffee. This morning is no different.
During the day, I find him watching me out of the corner of my eye. Working here has come easier to me. I able to bake without burning and dish out drinks without mistakes. I've impressed myself and my boss. By the end of the day, I'm exhausted but content.

"You did good today, Mia."

I smile at Nick's compliant. "Thank you."

As we walk out to his truck, he places a hand on my lower back. It makes me uncomfortable but I don't remove his hand either. He opens my door and helps me side. As he moves around the truck to get inside the drivers seat, I notice a blacked out car. The headlights are off. Maybe it's all that I have been through that has made me spot these things easier than others.

"You alright?" Nick can't help but notice my frozen state.

I shake it off as best as I can. On the ride home I try to pay attention to what Nick is saying but I can't really. Not while the car is following us. It's two cars behind us. Whoever it is they are keeping a safe distance.
Nick stops outside of Alice's apartment. Like the gentleman he is, he gets out to open my door. As I step out I see the car drive past us. The windows are blacked out, I have no idea who it is. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But if their is one thing Lex did teach me it was always go with your gut instinct. Damn that Lex! It's because of him that I'm the way I am.

"Hey, Mia." Nick stops me before I open the door. "I was wondering... If maybe you wanted to have dinner with me tomorrow night?"

I spin around so fast I knock into him.
"Wow. Sorry," I blush. "Umm.. Are you sure that's such a good idea? I mean I work for you and... I don't want things to get weird."

He smiles. "I understand if you don't want too......I just thought that maybe-"

"Yes. I'll have dinner with you. But I think you should know that I'm not ready for a relationship."

He smiles. "Just one step at a time. I can live with that."

I think he has totally missed my point. I watch him leave and then shut the door and lock it behind me.
After a shower and supper, I flop down on my tiny twin bed. My phone buzzes but I'm too tired to care.
Just as sleep starts to take me, a tapping comes to my window. I must be losing it, seriously this time. Tapping at my window?! Yeah right.
But then it comes again.
And again.
I jolt out of bed.
It dark.
I flip on my light and....
Oscar?

I race to the window to open it.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I snap.

He smiles. "It's good to see you too."

I roll my eyes as I help him inside. "Why didn't you just come in the front door? "

"And have Mawmaw bite my head off for not being where Im supposed to be? No, thank you."

After he is safely inside, I hug him tightly. I've missed him so much.

"Oscar, what are you doing here?"

He ignores me for a moment, to have a look around the room.

"You're staying in her storage room?"

"It's her extra bedroom. All this is just her kids old Barbies and toys she didn't want to give away. But anyways, you haven't answered me. Does Chris know your here? Is Jessy with you?"

He finally turns to me. "No. But I'm sure that by now they are probably freaking out. Haven't they called you?"

I haven't looked at my phone since this morning. But I don't tell him that. And now that I'm thinking about it, I pick up my phone to find several text messages and calls, from both Jess and Chris.

"Oscar, how did you get here?"

He smiles simply. "I got on the plan. It wasn't that hard really. But after I was seated and the plan was ready to take off, who would show up? Milo. I just knew then that I was caught but inside of taking me back he joined me. Kind freaks me out how he is always in the background but nevertheless always there. I don't know.....but anyways he said that he knew I wouldn't go back so he would just see me here and stay with me until I got back home."

"Oscar?! Have you completely lost your mind? When Lex finds out he's going to kill you," I snap.

He shrugs. "He isn't around right now anyways. It's Chris I'm worried about."

I smile despite the fact that he is in big trouble.
"Why are you here?" I ask.

"Because I wanted to check on you. Ya know, make sure you were safe and all."

"Okay? Don't you think this was a bit much? Coming all the way here?"

"Yeah, yeah. I know what your gonna say. I should have just called. But I know you pretty well by now. You'd say everything was fine even if the world was burning down around you. Besides it doesn't matter now anyways, I'm here and that's that. So, now, what I wanna know is, who the hell is that guy that brought you back here?"

"Watch your mouth," I say before I even realize it. Good God, Lex has rubbed off on me. "And his name is Nick. He gave me a job."

"Do you like him?" he asks without missing a beat.

I blink at him. "I mean, he's nice and handsome but he's just a friend."

"Then why are you going out with him tomorrow night?"

"How did you that...."
And then it hits me.
"You and Milo were following me weren't you?"

He smiles all innocent. "What can I say? Lex taught me a thing or two."

"Oscar!" I giggle. I can't help it. "I've missed you."

"Back at ya," he winks at me.

(Hope everyone had a wonderful New Year's. Please comment and vote, it makes my day!!!!)