Chapter 26

◌⑅⃝●♡⋆♡●⑅◌ When she kissed me, I felt alive again and my whole world became something different. It was heaven and hell, brought together in my head. My own secret world. And I would burn there.
-tHe J¤€kEr ◌⑅⃝●♡⋆♡●⑅◌

************************************
Mia
****
"We need to talk," Mawmaw pokes her head in my room.

I jump up out of my bed. Mawmaw sits down at the kitchen table. All business like.

"What's going on?" I ask, knowing that something is up.

Mawmaw has been acting a bit distentant lately. And I have been wondering why. It's been three days since I have seen Lex. Three long days. I've missed him so much. He has been busy these last few days, he hasn't even been at the shop. Being away from him causes me to worry about safety but I remind myself that Lex is having my house watched. Day and night. A little too over protective? Maybe but Lex said he didn't want to take any chances. The men, Lex has on watch, for the most part are never seen. Mawmaw still has no idea that there is anyone around our house at all. It was only when Lex brought me home that I realized that by Lex being my boyfriend not only will put me at risk, but Mawmaw also.

"Mia, you know how I have been staying with my friend, Alice, so much?" Mawmaw says once I sit across from her.

"Yeah?" I say.

"Well, she is having a difficult time getting over the death of her husband, as you already know. And......she has asked if I would like to move in with her."

I'm stunned and have no idea what to say.

"Mia, don't leave your mouth hanging open like that."

I snap it shut. "Do you want to live with her?"

"It would be nice, considering the fact that I'm at her house more than I am here. We both enjoy the same things and...." She sighs. "I've noticed how much you and Jessy have been spending time with your new guys. Even though, that Lex is a wild one, and don't you roll your eyes at me, I know he is. But if he makes you happy, than I want you to be able to go enjoy things with him. And this isn't even about him, really. I know that because of me, I have been holding you back. When you graduated from high school, instead of going to college, you got a job to take care of me. All this time, you've thought I have been taking care of you but it's you who has been taking care of me."

I blink back some tears. "Mawmaw, I want to take care of you."

"I know that, sweetheart. I do. But I want you to enjoy your life while you're still young enough to enjoy it. Life passes us by so quickly. And..... Well, I hate to admit it, but now that you have this new job, you have the money to be on your own. I think that it's important for you to know that you can live on your own. You know, I'm not going to be here forever and it's never a 'cool'thing for a young person to have to live with their grandma. Now, don't start that crying. Jess will still be here, when she isn't gone with that Chris. And you know I'm just a call away. Maybe I could even learn how to text. And it's not like I'm moving out of the state, just ten minutes away."

I don't want her to move. I have lived with her for so long now that it will be so strange without her here. Though she is right, lately she has been at Alice's more than here but still. Mawmaw is my..... Comfort zone. But at least this will keep her out of harms way, if any harm comes. So, I dry my tears and explain that I understand. I hug her tightly before I start getting ready for work.

The phone rings at the shop. I answer it. My heart speeds up a bit when I hear that it is Lex.

"I'm sorry to tell you this but I won't be able to stop by your house tonight. I'm needed somewhere else tonight, you understand what I'm talking about. But I'll come get you in the morning."

I sigh. "Will you be here at all this evening?"

Someone calls his name. A man. Lex says something back to him but I can't make it out. Then back to me, he says, "No, baby. Listen, I've got to go. I'll see you tomorrow morning."

And just like that, he's gone. Leaving me feeling curious about what he has been doing and who is with him. Neither Chris or Nate has come in yet, so my guess is that they are with him. So, that leaves only me and two tattoo artist to work the shop. At least, I've got plenty of work to do, or else I would go insane wondering what is keeping Lex away. An hour later, Chris walks in. He has an appointment. Before he can fully set up I swing by his station.

"What's going on Chris? Why hasn't he come in? He has hardly even called or texted me. Is he.... Seeing someone else?"

Chris rolls his eyes at my questioning.
"No, Mia. He isn't seeing someone else. He's just busy. There is a lot of shut going on and he has some things to tend to."

"What kinda of 'shit'? Is he in danger?"

Chris pulls me over to the corner of his station, so we won't be hard.

"Listen, I don't know how much Lex has told you but some of our shipments have gone missing. That means we have some unhappy customers." He looks around and then locks eyes with me. "Mia, you need to understand something. The life we have is a dangerous one. For Lex more so than me. Because of who his father is and the reputation Lex has."

My brows come together. "What kind of reputation?"

"I shouldn't say," he says.

I reach out and touch his hand. "Please, don't leave me guessing. What has he done?"

Again Chris looks around. He is hesitant.

"Lex is deadly. Not someone you would want to cross, if you're on his bad side. The other day, when you were with Lex, someone was killed while watching over one of our shipments transfers. The shipment was taken and a body left to rot."

My eyes are wide. "What's it mean when you say shipment? Like drugs?"

He grins. "No. Neither Lex or his father do any work with drugs. Lex use to......" He stops. I beg him to go on but he refuses. "No, that isn't my place to say. When he is ready for you to know, he will tell you. And as far as what we are shipping, you can ask him. I'm probably going to get my ass handed to me just for telling you this much."

Chris's appointment walks in and I return to my desk. With more questions than I started out with.

(Thank you to everyone for hanging in there while I have been so busy. Sorry for no Lex in this chapter but never fear.... He'll be back soon. Thank you to all for voting and commenting. It literally keeps me going.)