Chapter 35

⌐╦╦═─ ☆☆☆ I need a gangsta to love me better, than all the others do. To always forgive me, ride or die with me. That's just what gangsta's do. -Kehlani-Gangsta (From Suicide Squad) ⌐╦╦═─ ☆☆☆

************************************
Lex
****
My fist slams into the kids jaw again. Blood gushs out of his nose already. And if he doesn't start talking, he's gonna have a broken jaw along with a busted nose. I need to keep temper under control. If I don't, I'll knock him out again. That won't get me any where, any faster.
Nate and Chris stand at the door, looking out. We ended up going back to the ashes of Mia's house. Luck sent us a man that said he had seen a someone snooping around her neighborhood the night of the fire. The man described the stranger as best he could. The only real clue was that the stranger had been wearing a red leather jacket and he had blonde hair. That was like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
But again, luck stuck, and we spotted a red leather jacket, in the same block, trying to break in a house. The young guy had put up a good fight but it was three on one. We brought the punk back to the warehouse, a place where we wouldn't be hard. Nate and Chris had tied him down in a chair and left me with him. It's been thirty minutes and I still don't know much.

"Please stop. I can't take anymore."

His begging doesn't effect me at all.

"Then give me some answers."

He whines. "Look man, I've told you everything I know. They had masks on. There was three of them. They came up out of nowhere. One pulled a gun on me, told me to make sure she was home, and that's it."

I hit him again. "Did it cross your mind that they were gonna probably gonna hurt her?! Did you even care?!"

"I'm sorry," the boy cry's. "If I would have known, I swear I wouldn't have called them."

"Called them? They gave you a number?" I force my voice to be calm. "Why didn't you mention that before?"

"I didn't think about it. But yeah, they gave me a number to call."

"Do you still have it?"

He thinks. "No. I don't think so but.... Yeah! In my pocket. Here in my jacket."

I search him. On the inside of his red leather jacket, I find a pocket, and inside a crumbled up piece of paper. A number. The same number that had called me. I give it to Chris, so that he can begin to track it, Nate leaves with him. Now it's just me and the boy. What to do with him? He has seen my face. My finger prints are all over him, so if I kill him, it won't be hard for the cops to find me. I look into his young face. There is so much of his life to live.  So much that he still can do. Turn his life around.

"Look, kid. Go home. If you go to the cops about this, I'll find you before they will find me. And a little piece of advice, stay off the streets. Go home to your mom."

I cut the rope that holds him down. "Go on now, get."

The boy stays in the chair. Afraid to move, I guess. I don't care. I don't have the time to go on and on with this kid. I leave him sitting. Just as I open the door to my car, does the kid come running up.

"Wait, that's it?" he asks. "You're not even gonna tell me give me a ride?"

Is this kid forreal?
"No, Now get outta here."

I get in to my car. The kid steps in front of my way out. "But.... I don't even know where I am."

I roll down the window. "Not my problem! Now, move!"

He doesn't. He just stands there. Looking at me like a deer in the headlights. I don't have time for this shit!

"Hurry up! Get in!"

The kid doesn't waist time. I sling rocks and dust as I pull out. A bit of guilt hits me as the kid wipes his nose.

"What's your name kid?" I ask.

He looks up. Blood is smeared on the side of his face, from his wipping. "My names Oscar. And I already know who you are."

I look over to him. "Oh yeah?"

He grins in a boyish way. "Yeah. You're Lex. Lex A'Dmore."

"You mean, D'Amore," I correct him. "How did you know that?"

"Are you kiddin'? Everybody knows who you are. You're like a fucking legend!"

"Hey, watch your mouth," I scold him. "And I think you're talking about my father, not me."

He shakes his head. "Not to us younger kids. We haven't heard much about your dad but you.... That's another story. Everybody knows who you are."

Normally, hearing that would give me a big head but not tonight. Tonight my mind is only on one thing. Finding that basturd.
Oscar rubs his cheek.

"You know," I say. "When someone has just beat the shot out of you, you shouldn't be asking for a ride."

He chuckles. "Yeah, you're right but I know you're not a bad guy. Just pissed. And besides, I had no clue where I was back there."

I raise a brow. "How do you know I'm not a bad guy?"

"Well, if you were you would have done worse than use me as a pushing bag."

Guilt. It hits me hard. It wasn't his fault what happened. But still..... I just beat the shot out of a kid. Damn it. I'm going soft, aren't I?

"I'm sorry for hurting you," I hate apologizing.

"Aww.. Don't worry about it. I've taken worse than this."

"From who?" I don't know why I'm asking.

"My dad mostly."

Oscar looks out the window. For the first time ever, I realize my father might not be as bad as I have always thought. Not the best but not the worst either.

"Sorry, kid. What's your mom say about it?" I ask.

"She died, three years ago."

Ugh..... Fucking perfect. So, Oscar is a young version of myself. Only he gets the fuck beat out of him from his dad. And then I come along and beat on him too.

"It's gonna get better, kid. Believe it or not."

He looks over at me again. "You really think so?" he asks, his voice full of hope.

I nod. "Yeah, kid."

(Thank you guys for all the reads and votes. It all means the world to me. Xoxo.)