Chapter 73

...•...A true hero isn't measured by his strength, but by the strength of his heart- h€®Cu£€s...•...
************************************
Lex
****
"Finally! My goodness, I thought he'd never ask!"

Mawmaw takes Mia's hand to look down at her ring. My mother's ring. Mawmaws eyes fill up with tears as she hugs Mia tightly. She then releases Mia to grab me in a tight squeeze.

"I'm so proud of you, Lex. Really, I am," Mawmaw says.

It's been a long time since someone has said they were proud of me, and even longer since someone has said it and it mean so much to me.

"I wish I could've gotten some pictures of it though," Mawmaw wipes her eyes. "Tell me all about it!"

Mawmaw takes Mia's hand and off they go. I listen to Mia tell her all about it, expect the sex we had afterwards. She tells her beloved grandma how wonderful it had all been. The smile she wears warms my heart. I stand against the door frame and watch her. Just enjoying the happiness she brings. I'll never get enough of her. Even when we're old and gray, I'm still gonna love her beyond reason. I have no doubt of this.
I had been planning on asking her for a while now. Ever since I met that little old couple. Something about them showed me that a serious commitment wasn't something to be afraid of but rather something to cherish and protect. And that's all I ever wanted to do for Mia and now I get to do that until the day I die.
I remember the look on my father's face when I told him of my plans for Mia. He had been surprised but also a bit proud. At that time, I had planned on buying her a ring, but my father turned the tables on me, surprised me when he opened his safe to take out my mother's ring.

"I kept it for you. Hoping that one day you would find someone that deserves it. And finally, you have found her."

I remember his words, speaking of Mia and my mother. I had taken the ring with shaking hands. The last time I had seen that ring was on my mother's finger. So many years ago. I'm not even sure how I could remember her wearing it, she died when I was so young, but I do.
The conversation between Mawmaw and Mia turns into wedding plans. Where it should be at. What kind of flowers. What the cake will look like. They go on and on.
I grin to myself and leave them to it.
I end up heading down to the gym. Those two women will be talking for hours. After my workout and a shower. I get dressed and step outside.
A group of kids stands off to the side of the parking lot. They stand there watching me, holding their bikes and speaking to one another.
I get in the car and head back to our hotel. In the review mirror, I see those kids following me. I step on the gas a bit. Trying to lose them. I pull into park, thinking I had lost them and when I step out I hear them whispering behind me. I ignore them and continue to the door. Before I open it, one of them comes forward.

"Hey," one boy says. "Are Lex? Lex D'Amore?"

I duck my head down. Damn it. I knew I would be recognized eventually but not by damn street kids.
I turn to glare down at the boy. He backs away in fear.

"What do you want with him?" I snap.

The boy raises his hands and trys to back away but bumps into his buddies.

"We were just wondering. We saw you go into the gym and thought it was you."

"Yeah," another one says.

"It is you, isn't it, sir?"

I raise a brow. But don't deny it either.

"What do you want?" I hiss.

"Well, we heard that you had our friend, Oscar? Do you, sir?"

I grin, not able to help myself. "He is staying with my father right now."

They all grin. Apparently, Oscar, somehow, told them that we adopted him, and we were traveling the world. They hadn't believed him until now.

"What are ya doing back here?" one asks.

I shrug. "Just handling some unfinished business."

"Is Oscar doing okay?"

"Well, he's rich now, he can't be doin' too bad.... "

I can't help but laugh. "I'll tell him y'all asked about him."

I turn to see Mia waiting for me. I hadn't known she had come looking for me. She stands smiling as she watches me with the boys. I turn back to them.

"I gotta run. Y'all stay out of trouble."

"Wait! Can we get a picture with you?"

I shake my head. "That's not a good idea."

"Oh, don't worry mister. We know you're supposed to be dead. We won't show anyone."

I know it's a bad idea. They could put it on facebook or twitter. But no one would be able to prove it wasn't taken before my fake death. I wave Mia over.

"Hello," she says to the boys.

They all look her up and down. Eyes nearly popping out of their heads. They look between myself and her. Amongst the group they wishper, "Damn, she's hot!"

I turn back to them. "Watch your mouth," I warn.

Mia is grinning ear to ear. Her arms crossed and a smug look in her eyes.

"Yes?" she asks.

"Will you take a picture of us?" I ask.

She raises a brow. "Is that a good idea?"

I shrug. "What real harm can come from a picture? And besides no one can prove when it was taken."

"Please, miss."

They melt her heart. I can see it in her eyes.

"Alright," she says and takes a phone from one of them.

I stand in the middle, they all gather around me. Most smiling. Some looking up at me. Mia snaps the picture and they say thank you. I wave the boys off and tell them, "I meant what I said, stay out of trouble!"

They smile and wave back. I shake my head as I step inside with Mia behind me. She takes my hand in the elevator.

"I just love you," she says and sits her head on my shoulder. "And apparently I'm not the only one."

I roll my eyes. "I don't know why they like me."

She looks up at me. "Because baby, you're their hero. And mine."

(A cute update to get us through the week. Next up will be a bit more progressive. Hope you all enjoy it!)