Chapter 19

.'.'.'. Don't kiss me, if you're afraid of thunder. My life is a storm. '.'.'.'.
-Anita Krizzan

************************************
Mia
*****

The rest of the week goes by swiftly. My off days, I found that I missed being at the shop. Away from Lex during the day. He visits me every night but every morning he is gone before I wake. He has been busy this past week, after hours at the shop. He still hasn't completely told me everything about the vipers and to be honest, I'm glad. I don't want to think about the things he does or the things he has done.
Today, I have agreed to go shopping with Mawmaw, while Jess works at the shop. I have to keep reminding her that she can't just buy sweets. And she keeps reminding me that I am not her mother. I make a mental plan of all our meals for the next week. I am so lost in thought that it takes me a while to realize we are being followed. I spot the man out of the corner of my eye. I don't want him to know I have seen him, so I play it cool. God only knows what mawmaw would do if she knew. She would probably walk right up to him and start hitting him with her pocketbook. Or throw canned vegetables at his head. On second thought, maybe I should unleash my Mawmaw on him. When I turn to get a better look, the man is gone.
I don't see him again as we finish up and check out. But when we return home, a strange car parks a little ways down the street. As I take the last of our bags in, I wait to watch the car from the window. It finally pulls away, slowly. My eyes follow the car as it creeps past our house.

"What are you looking at?" Mawmaw asks.

I shake my head. "Nothing."

Later that evening, I get a text from Lex. A sudden bolt of excitement flashes through me.

'Hey, you interested in a night out at the club? Jess and Chris are going. Wondered if you would want to go.'

The last time I had been to the club, had been the night he first kissed me, and the night I got my tattoo. It wasn't that long ago but for me it feels like forever.

'Sure. What time?'

'I'll pick you up around nine.'

'See ya then'

But then a thought hits me. Mawmaw and I had been followed. A strange car creeper by my house. Maybe I should stay home. Just in case. I should tell Lex. But I don't.

'Lex, tonight isn't a good night for me. Maybe another time.'

I'm just about to hit send when Mawmaw knocks on my door.

"Mia, I'm going out with some friends tonight. We are going to play bingo and I plan on staying over with Alice tonight. She is having a hard time since her husband died and is needing some company. Will you be alright for tonight?"

I smile. "Yes. Be safe and have fun. Make sure to take your cell phone with you, if you need me."

"Mia, when are going to stop worrying about me and Jess so much? We aren't stupid, you know. You worry too much. I love you."

Perfect! Now, I could go with Lex and not worry about mawmaw being here by herself. Maybe she is right. Maybe I do worry too much. But it's a habit. Once Mawmaw leaves I race back to my room to see what I can do about this hair and makeup. Jess is normally the one who does it but she isn't here. So, I am on my own.
I try to remember the tips and tricks, she has taught me. After poking my eyes twice and starting all over three times, I am finally happy. Now, for my hair. It will be hot in the club. And if I dance, which I have full intentions on doing, I will be sweaty. I decide to go with a messy bun. Simple but nice and neat.
My outfit I keep simple too. Just a pair of jeans and a cute black cut up top. When I say cut up, I mean, it's been cut up but tied in knots down my sides. I like this shirt. Jess and I made them one night when we saw one in a magazine. Last but not least, my favorite pair of bright red Vans. I look in the mirror and I am pleased with the out come.
At nine on the dot, I hear Lex honk. I grab my phone and lock up the house. I make my way to Lex's SUV. He is alone. But as hot as ever. We match. His shirt is black and he is wearing those sexy jeans again. I feel the heat fill my cheeks. So handsome.

"You ready?" He smiles.

I nod. Those dimples show and I want to lean in to kiss them. Some how I resist. The ride is short, considering how fast he drives. I should really tell him to be more careful. But I know it will do no good. Knowing him he would probably do the exact opposite, just to toy with me.
I look up at the parking lot, which is, just as last time, packed. So many people. I can only imagine how much money gets blown here.

"Ready?" He asks.

"As ready as I'll ever be."

Everything is the same as last time. The lights. The music. The sea of dancing people. And yet, it's different. Because this time Lex brought me himself. Because things between us have been better ever since I asked him about his picture and told him I know about his gang. I don't know why things are better but I am not going to question it.
Lex places a hand on my lower back as we enter. It reminds me of the way we entered the party. The party where he left me to be talked about. I push the thought from my mind. I reach behind me to take his tattooed hand into my own. I feel him tense up. He isn't use to such a public display of affection. But he doesn't try take his hand away. This pleases me.
Jess and Chris have already started dancing. I spot them and Jess sends me a wave and a wink. They really are so cute together. Lex then takes me by surprise and pulls me behind him to the dance floor. I'm better prepared this and I stand in front of him, the way he had showed me how last time. I grind my ass against him. He holds my hips and we dance. Or well.... We grind. I let lose. And I find that I am starting to become a little wild child.

(Hope this satisfies some hungry readers. Things will be a bit more exciting in the next chapter. Thank you all for the votes and comments. Please, keep them coming. They motivate me to work harder. Xoxo.)