Chapter 56

♪ ♬ ♡ ♬ ♪the goodbye hurts, but the flash backs are killing me. ♪ ♬♡♬ ♪
************************************
Mia
****
Going home seemed to take longer than it had when we were leaving. Of course, Jessy stayed with Chris but promised to come visit. Mawmaw hadn't said a word when I told her to pack her things. She knows how hard this is for me. We will be staying with her Friend Alice for a while. And I am greatful because I have no money. No home. And no Lex.
Oscar had pitched a fit when I told him I was leaving. Saying that Lex and I were idiots and that we needed to grow up. In which, I told him he was probably right but that I was still leaving none the less. Oscar had hugged me tight and told me that he was sure I would see him soon. Which broke my heart even more, since I seriously doubt that he was right on the account.
Traveling on Christmas Eve is a real pain. Especially when your devastated and everyone around you is all happy and jolly. I envy their happiness and really want to kick myself for this. I have just left the one man I have ever loved. And it's the hardest thing I've ever done. The tears haven't left my eyes since I walked out of that hotel room.
My head hurts.
My heart is broken.
And I have no energy in me.
Alice picks us up at the airport. Mawmaw greets her warmly as I get in the backseat. As Alice drives on, I try to close my eyes. Sleep is the only place I don't hurt right now.

When we arrive, I head straight for the extra bedroom. Flop down and let the sleep take me again.
It's dark when I wake. Mawmaw and Alice are in the kitchen.

"And she just decided to leave?"

I stay out of sight and listen closely.

"Yeah, pretty much. But I think he will come for her. He does love her very much."

Alice tasks. "Well, where is he then?"

"He will come. But I think that he is still trying to figure out some things. I'm not sure what the fight was about but they love each other enough to work it all out. He just needs some time."

"What for what? The girl is here laying in that bed, miserable. He needs to get his shit together and realize he won't find anyone better than Mia."

Mawmaw sighs. "You're right but you don't know Lex like I do. The boy has been through a lot but he is still trying to figure out what kinda man he wants to be. The boys mother was raped and murdered when he was very young. The only person he had left was his father who couldn't handle his wife's death. His father turned to drugs and alcohol. The man went quiet mad and killed the men who murdered his wife. All this left Lex in the background. The boy grew up learning how to sell and make deals."

Alice is shocked. "My goodness! And you allowed Mia to get involved with a boy like that?"

Mawmaw laughs softly. "Like I could have stopped her. At first, I absolutely detested him. All covered in tattoos and piercings. It was very obvious that he wasn't a good boy. But then I saw how much he cared for her. The way he looked at her when she didn't see it. Even when he would show up at her window at night."

She knew about that! Mawmaw goes on.

"I think he loved her even then, though he just didn't know it. But with him came danger and that I wasn't too happy about. When I came to stay here, I thought that I was doing Mia a favor. Giving her a little independence, but thats when the shit hit the fan. Those basturds had been watching her. And sat the house on fire with her in it. I almost lost her but Lex saved her. Literally, put his own life on the line for her. Without a second thought."

The tears fall down my cheeks. Funny I didn't think I had anymore of those in me.

"Lex, went so far as to have her moved to his father's home. He thought it was the safest place for her. Had his personal Doctor tend to her and refused to leave her side for anything. Things were better for a while and then that damn party! The party was wonderful, truly one of the best things I have ever been to in years. I don't think I have ever enjoyed myself they way I did that night. That was until she was kidnapped. Lex was a mad man with fear for her life. And once again he saved her. And then he was dead. Or at least that's what we thought."

Alice listens intently. As do I.

"I think that a part of her died that night too. He was everything to her and then he was gone. There wasn't anything I could do or anyone could do. She just slept. Like how she is now. And my God, Alice, the way she looks now is worse than then. When she thought he was dead. She cried. Yelled.  Snapped at everyone for forcing her to eat but this.... It's like this time she has died."

And she couldn't have been more right. That is if death is numbness. Because that's all I feel. Just numb.

(I couldn't stop. So, another update in one night. Woo-hoo!)