Chapter 90

《《《 It's okay to be scared. Being scared means you're about to do something really, really brave. 》》》
************************************
Lex
****
The cry of a baby, wakes me. Mia sleeps next to me. I don't want to wake her. I slip out of bed, making my way through the hall in a zombie like state. The cry becomes desperate screams. I come to a door and open it slowly. Inside is a nursery.
A crib.
My body moves to the side of the crib but it doesn't feel like I'm walking. More like I'm floating.
The baby is beautiful. Like all baby's are. But this one is special. It's my child. Love and unbelievable amount of joy raises up in my chest.
To confront my child, I lift him into my arms.
His crying stops. But more starts.
I turn around to see, more cribs.
Hundreds of them, lining the room, that has transformed into a long never-ending nursery.
They all scream. The one in my arms starts up again.
What can I Do?
The screams become unbearable. My head feels like it will explode any second. I squeezed my eyes shut.

"Stop."

They don't. I race up and down the room but stop dead in my tracks as I see Mia. She's sits on a hospital bed. With some kinda feet things, that are holding her legs up. A sheet lays over her. And a doctor telling her to push. She screams. The doctor holds up a bloody baby and a nurse suddenly appears. The lady takes the baby and lays in one of cribs.
The same thing happens again and again.
Hundreds. Maybe even thousands of little screaming babies keep popping out of Mia.

"Stop!" I shout. "Stop!"

I sit up, in the bed. My whole body covered in sweat. A dream. Just a dream. Mia sleeps peacefully beside me.
I can't stay in this bed for another second. I need air. Now!
I jump from the bed, not waking my sleeping wife. I open the French doors and step out onto the balcony. The air here is sticky but it's still cooler out here than in that bed.
I try my best to shake my dream off.
I don't understand it and I don't care too either.
I'm thrilled about our baby.
And I can't wait to meet him or her.
This child will change everything.
It's not the end of the world, like I once thought it would be.
Mia has given me so much.
And she is still.
No words can ever describe how much that girl means to me.
She has shown me that there is a whole other way of life. Family.
My mind travels back to the day I had tattooed her wrist. She had wanted the infinity symbol with the word family tying it together. She had said that family is the most important thing to her.
Apparently, it still is.
And she's taught me just how important it really is.
It's because of her that I have this house. Which, yes, I could've bought any house I wanted, whenever I wanted. But it would never have been a home without her.
As I relax a bit, I return into the house and make my way down to the kitchen. I pour myself a glass of juice and sit at the table.
I take out my phone and surf the internet.
Hour pass and it's five in the morning before I realize it.
Just as I stand to leave the table, I receive a text.
From Tiffany.

'Good morning. How are things with Mia Now? Better?'

I hesitate texting her back.
I really shouldn't talk to her.
Especially since the last time upset Mia so much. The last thing she needs is to be stressed when she is so early her pregnancy.
So, I choose to ignore Tiffany. For my wife and my child.

Later on that day, Chris, Oscar, and myself work in the new shop. Shouldn't be long before we can open.
All of us are so busy and focused on what we are doing, that no one hears the door open. So, it startle me when a  pair of high heeled shoes stands in front of me. My head snaps up.
What the fuck?

"Hello, handsome. Why haven't you returned any of my texts?"

I stand slowly. "What are you doing here, Tiffany?"

She smiles in a seductive way that use to send chills down my entire body. But it does not have the same effect on me that it once did.

"Well, I had plans on coming down to see how you settled in. I had planned on it next week but since you never replied to me, I had to make sure you were alright."

I roll my eyes and walk past her.
" You know," I say over my shoulder. "I'm not yours to worry about."

She follows me, even though it's clear that I'm busy and can't talk right now. And in fact, it's a bit irritating that she came all the way here, just because I never texted her back.
She follows me into my new office, I see her glance up at the two paintings on my walls.
One of my mother.
And the other of my wife.
My very personal paintings that no one ever really see, expect those lucky enough to step into my office. Mia hasn't even seen my painting of her. Mia knew that I had been working on a project but I haven't gotten the chance to show her yet.
And now, Tiffany is staring at instead of Mia.

"She is beautiful, isn't She?" Tiffany speaks of my wife. "Funny, I remember telling you years ago that you needed to find an outlet that could connect you to those you loved. That was when you painted your dear mother. And now, you've painted another for her."

I don't much care for the way she said,  'her'.

"What do you want?" I snap. Trying to get to the point.

"Oh, I jus-"

She is cut off by Oscar running in.

"Lex, you didn't tell me that you and Mia are gonna have a baby!"

Tiffany stares at me like she's just seen  a ghost. Her face white and her eyes wide. 

"You knocked her up?!" She sounds as if she can't believe it.

Oscar takes the hint that he should leave before I lit into him for running his mouth.
And I turn my attention back to Tiffany.

"Yes. Mia is pregnant. And don't talk about the situation like that."

She controls her crazed expression. "I'm sorry. It's just a shock, is all. I didn't expect you to get married ever but children too?"

"Yeah, well, I do want kids. Mia showed me that and Oscar. And besides it's not got anything to do with you. Now, as you can see I'm fine, so you can home."

She's hurt. I really didn't want to get so angry with her but she's getting on my last nerve. She takes a step to me.

"Lex, honey, I didn't mean to-"

I hold up a hand to stop her. "Please, don't. Just go on. Get outta here."

"But-" she trys again.

"Just get the fuck out!"

The pain in her eyes is clear but she doesn't try again. She gives up the fight and leaves. I feel guilty. I shouldn't have yelled at her like that. Ever since that dream I've been on edge. And I took it out on her.

(Hope everyone has a good week! And that everyone enjoyed this update. Much love!)