Chapter 36

~•~•~•~ your parents choices, don't dictate your future. •~•~•~•~

************************************
Lex
****
I don't take Oscar home. Instead, I've found that the little shit is really kinda funny and he has lightened my dark mood. Not completely but I feel better. Oscar follows me inside the tattoo shop. He walks behind me with big eyes.

"We're going in here?" he asks.

"Unless you wanna just stand out side."

"Yeah. Yeah. Let's go inside I came here one time. Just because I lost a bet and I had to try to get a tattoo. So, I came here because word on the street was, you owned it. At the time the guy at the front desk wouldn't even let me in the front door. He came running out just as he saw me coming up. He was a dick, I'm glad you got rid of him."

"Watch your mouth," I fuss at him.

He ignores me. "Do you even realize that we, and we I say we I mean us street kids, gave always wanted to come in here? None of us, was ever brave enough. You know, except for the time I lost the bet."

He rambles on as we step inside. And he is silent. I look back to see that his eyes are wide and his mouth is hanging open. I grin. There is just something about this kid.....

"Dude, this place is amazing."

He isn't loud but his voice brings out Nate and Chris. The looks on their faces is priceless, when they see our little new comer.

"What the hell is he doing here?" Nate asks.

I walk past him. "He needed a ride."

Chris raises a brow at me. "A ride?"

"Yeah. Now, what did you find out?" I ask, ignoring the strangeness of mine and Oscar's situation.

Chris returns to his seat behind the desk. His fingers tape away. I hope for something, anything. I hover over Chris, something that he hates.  He always has, even when he was doing his internship for tattooing. I'm making him uncomfortable, so I move away. I need Chris to be completely focused. Not irritated by my hovering. But dammit, I'm going crazy not having anything to do.
I sit, bouncing my leg, while I wait.
Oscar walks around. Looking at every thing around him. Past Nate, back and forth. We all wait.
I wonder how she is feeling. Is she in slot of pain? I could have cut off my hands when they told me I had broken her chest bone. I would never do anything to hurt her. They said that if I hadn't of done it she wouldn't be alive now. I had saved her. But I am also the reason she is in danger in the first place. I don't regret meeting her, I could never regret that, but maybe if she didn't have me, she would be safer. I know she would be.
I hate that all this is because of me.
Maybe her life would be better if I wasn't in it?
Now, someone is after her and it's up to me to keep her from harm.
Chris clucks his tongue and it brings my attention to him.

"Anything?" I ask.

He shrugs. "It was just a cheap ass track phone. They were being smart about it, that's for sure."

"Can you tell where they bought it?" Nate asks.

"Yeah. I know they place. Not too far from here."

"Let's go then."

I stand, ready to leave. 

"Wait," Chris says. "They don't open until nine in the morning."

"So?" I ask.

Chris rolls his eyes. "Oh, yeah. Let's go break in. Then the cops show up and take us all to jail. Then what? "

He has a point. "Fine. I'll see you guys in the morning. Be here at eight."

"Do we even know how we are going to get the information we need?" Nate asks.

"We'll figure that out in the morning. For now, everyone go home and get some sleep."

Just as I get ready to leave I remember that I'm forgetting someone. I turn back to Oscar.

"You ready?" I ask.

"Not really," he says as he lowers his head. "Can't I stay with you?"

I start to shake my head. But he starts up again.

"I won't be any trouble, really I won't? I'll even sleep on the couch, the floor."

"Look, kid. I have to be up early. I don't have time to babysit you."

"I don't need a babysitter. I swear I won't be in the way."

I roll my eyes. "And I guess you wanna come along in the morning too?"

I shouldn't have said that. His eyes light up like the fourth of July.

"Yeah!"

Nate and Chris stare at me like Ive lost my mind. Maybe, at this point, I have.

"Alright, fine. But if any of us tells you to do something, do it. Don't be asked twice."

I turn to leave and before I do, Oscar stops me again.

"They have to come too?"

I look up to Nate and Chris. Nate glares at Oscar. Chris grins.

"Yeah."

Oscar again lowers his head. He reaches into his jacket and removes something. He then walks over to Nate.

"Then, I guess, before you realize what I did, I should give this back."

Nate takes his wallet, with wide eyes. "You little shit!  I didn't even feel you take it out of my pocket."

Oscar shrugs and walks right by me. I grin. I like this kid. I can't help but like him. Chris is laughing, as well as myself, as we leave. Nate is pissed but doesn't say anymore. I say goodnight and climb into my car. Oscar sits up front.  Before I put the key in, I turn to him.

"Don't take anything from my house. Or I'll beat the shot out of you."

He holds up both of hands. "Hey, don't be told twice," he repeats my orders.  "I got it."

I shake my head, grinning. I put the key in and give it a turn.  Now, time to go check on Mia.

(Hey guys. Sorry for not updating but I have been working 12 hours a day. I'm so tired and I'm sure I have a ton of typos. Please, forgive them. Next update will be with Mia involved. I'm so glad everyone liked Oscar so much. I have big plans for him:) I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday. Please vote and comment.)