Chapter 31

Σ>♡→But he who dares not grasp the thorns, should never crave the rose.
-Anne Bronte B Σ>♡→

************************************
Mia
****
I wake to the sound of birds chirping outside the window. Dawn. The first light of day. Lex lays beside me. His arms and legs wrapped around my body. I watch him sleep for a bit before I'm forced to get up, for need if the bathroom. Once done, I grab up my underwear and dress from last night. Such a wonderful night we had. I dress quitely. I don't want to wake him. He looks so peaceful. Almost angelic like. Well, a dark angel. With all his ink. But never the less, he is my dark angel.
I leave his room, with no clue as to where I am going, I'm just curious about seeing the rest of this.....Mansion.
I go back down the way Lex had brought me up last night. In the foyer, I decide to head down a hall I haven't seen yet. Again I find beautiful paintings hanging on the walls. I walk along. I find a large dinning room, with a massive long table. That table could sit at least twenty. From across the hall I hear women chatting. I poke my head in to find the kitchen. The older women talk to themselves as they prepare breakfast. It smiles heavenly. I leave before I am spotted.
After two turns, I somehow stumble upon a room, that I have no business going into, but I do anyways. I blame my intrusion on the large painting of Lexs mother.
This painting is different from the one in Lex's office. In this one, she is standing next to a cherry blossom tree and she is wearing an evening gown. The entire picture transports me into another world. I can almost smell the sweetness of the flowers around her. Feel the breeze that plays at her hair. All of it is so captivating but somehow I find Lex's painting the better of the two.
In his painting, she had looked more relaxed. At ease. In both of them though, you can see how stunning the woman had been. There is a warmth in her eyes that I can see in Lex's. He is her son. No denying that. Lex's has only ever spoke of her once and all it was he said was that she is gone but never anything else. But I do know one thing, to have her painting hang above his desk, and he himself having been the one to paint her face, he must love her a great deal.
This room is an office and I can only guess who's office it is. It's only now that I realize I don't even know Lex's parents names. I look at the papers on his father's desk. Several letters, addressed to a Mr. John D'Amore, and I guess I have just learned the answer to my question.
But there is still her name that I don't know.
When I hear footsteps moving towards the door, I panic.
Damn it!
Hide!
But there is nowhere to hide. The steps come closer. I run over to the desk and duck down. I pray whoever it is doesn't sit down at the desk or I'll be caught for sure. I listen as the foot steps walk past the door and I relax. Thank God, no one saw me while I made myself look like a fool trying to hide. I pick myself up from under the desk. Just as I stand the door opens. I freeze. Milo stands at the door, his back facing me, so he hasn't seen me yet. Whatever has stopped him from entering completely, I'm greatful. Milo's name is called and he leaves.
Before I miss my opportunity, I run over to the door, and peek out the door, see that it's clear, and quickly get out of there.
I head straight for the double doors that lead outside. That's what I need some fresh air. The sun blinds me momentarily. When my eyes adjust, I find that I have once again been transported. This time into a fairy land. I stand on a brick wall way that leads under a pergola entrance. I walk in a trance to the garden. The walls are made of tall green bushes. So tall I cannot see over the walls. Inside, I find the walk way lead to a tree. In fact, a cherry blossom tree. This is the setting of the painting in that office. She was here once, standing right under that tree. And what surrounds this tree are the most beautiful roses I have ever seen.
Everywhere I look, I see roses. White. Pink. Red. Yellow. Peach. Roses of every color I can imagine. To be blunt, I have never seen a place as enchanting as this. It's simply magical. There is no other way of putting it. I walk in, towards the tree, but I stop when I finally notice that I am not alone.
John D'Amore, Lex's father, is bent down digging in the dirt. It's the first time I have seen the man since he showed up on my lunch break. He is dressed in jeans and a dark brown button down shirt. More relaxed than the suit he had been wearing when I met him that day. From the tightly knit brows, I can tell he is thinking of something. I watch him for longer than I should. But I can't help it.
A powerful criminal like him, is planting flowers in his garden. Odd. I would think he would be cleaning a gun somewhere a but more on the manly-ish side.