Chapter 64

(✖╭╮✖) death comes to us all (✖╭╮✖)
************************************
Mia
****
The next morning, I show up to work, a bit curious. Nick didn't show up to give me a ride, which is fine. But strange. Standing outside the Café, I find it odd that none of the lights are on. The door is open and I slip inside, wondering what is going on. Kelly won't be in for another hour. Nick and I are always the ones to open.
Not on oven is on. No lights. Everything is still as it had been last night. Something falls and I nearly jump out of my skin. The hairs on my arms stand up and I have a chill run down my back. Something isn't right.  Nick's truck is sitting out front but he is no where to be found. Another crash. It is coming from Nick's office. I take a step forward.
My heart is pounding in my chest.
This is the kinda shit that gets people killed.
I know something is wrong and instead of calling the cops and getting the hell out of here, I reach for the door knob and give it a twist. When the doorbell opens, my eyes widen. Blood everywhere.
Standing beside his desk, is Nick.
Shirtless and holding his side. He turns to see me. He has been shot. The bleeding is uncontrollably. Just as he opens his mouth to speak, blood fall out from his lips, and he feels the floor hard on his knees.
I run to him, lay him back.

"Who did this? Nick?! Stay with me, Nick!"

I hold pressure down on his abdomen.  With my other hand I grab my phone and quickly call 911.

"I don't know what happened! I just got here and he has been shot! Or stabbed! He is bleeding bad! Just get us some help, please," I hang up.

"Who did this?" I ask again.

Nick tries to speak but he can't. He starts to choke on the blood. It splatters everywhere. On my shirt. All over him.

I hold his hand tightly. I try as best as I can to confront him.

"It's going to be okay," I say. "Help is on its way. I won't leave you, I promise."

By the time anyone shows up, Nick has died in my arms. I can't keep up with everything going on. Kelly shows up later and is absolutely devastated. She work for him for two years and apparently cared about him a great deal.  I try to console her but she just pushes me away. She gives me a hateful look and I get the feeling that she blames this on me in some way or another.
I am taken down town for questioning. I retell how I found him. I tell the story so many times that my head hurts.

"Is there anyone that you can think of that would have wanted him dead? Someone who didn't like him?"

"Nick was a nice guy. Very friendly and kind. I can't think of anyone...."

I stop. No! Lex wouldn't have killed him. He wouldn't have! How could I have even thought that?!
Maybe because Lex has been acting very weird lately.
Or maybe because Lex does have a terrible temp.
But still I know Lex, even though he was jealous, he wouldn't do this!

"Ma'am? Was there something else?"

I snap out of my thoughts.

"No, not anyone that I can think of."

The officer nods. "You're free to go. But keep your phone close, in case, we have anymore questions."

As I step out of the room, I can't help but feel every eye on me. They all think I know more than what I do. Poor Nick. My heart hurts for him. I may not have been interested in a relationship with him but he was a good friend and a great boss. I'm truly going to miss him.
Mawmaw wraps her arms around me tight when I return home. She tries to talk to me about it but I am quick to sneak off to my room. I find some clean clothes and shower.
Afterwards, I lay on my bed looking up at the ceiling. I can't believe that I even thought Lex could do something like this. Lex? No. He wouldn't.
The door bell rings.
Mawmaw yells that it is for me.
Sure enough, Lex is standing at the door.

"What's the matter?" he asks as soon as he sees me.

"I really don't want to talk about it right now."

And I don't. I don't want tell the story again. I will tell him later on. He smiles softly and reaches for my hand.  I look down at his tattooed hand and I notice....his bloody knuckles.
And the spots of blood on his shirt.
What the....

I look up into his eyes. Confused. Horrified.

"Mia? What is it?!" he asks.

He tries to pull me close. I pull away.

"Last night, you said you would do anything to get me back. What did that mean?" I ask and can't believe that I'm even thinking this.

He doesn't understand. "It means that I will do whatever it takes."

"Lex, I need you to leave."

Now he is really confused. "Okay? Did I do something wrong?"

"No."
I just am thinking that you might have killed my boss. That's all, I think to myself.

"Alright, can I see you tonight then?"

"No. I'm going to be busy." I paractialy push him out the door, shut it and lock it.

I return to my room and try to convince myself that I'm just losing my mind. A panic attack starts to come on, full force. I have to remind myself that I know Alex D'Amore better than anyone and I can't see him ever killing someone just because of me. I remember when we had our first fight and he told me that he had killed before but he wouldn't do this!
Would he?

(Okay, so I really wonder what everyone is going to think of this one. I hate it for Nick but....the story must go on. Hope everyone is having a wonderful week! Please comment! Love u all!)