Chapter 98

▪■▪□▪■▪□ All that you are is still all that I'll ever need..... Ed Sheeran▪■▪□▪■▪□
************************************
Mia
****
The next morning, I roll over to find that Lex, is not laying next to me. I sit up slowly, surprisingly I feel a lot better than yesterday but I'm still very sore. I climb out of bed and begin my search for my husband. I stop by Oscar's door. His bed in unmade and the t.v. is now off. I roll my eyes and step in to tidy up his bed. Oscar is turning 13 in a few days. I have bought him a few things but I still need to get some last minute things. The plan is to throw him a big party, since my boy has never had one. And then a thought crosses my mind.
I've already got a child.
True, he is a bit older for someone my age of only twenty but still he is my baby.
And I know that nothing will ever be able to replace the baby we lost.
But I have to remember that we still have a child that needs us.
And the closer he gets to becoming a teen the more he will need us.
With these thoughts jumping around in my mind, I make my way down to the kitchen. Mawmaw sips her cup of coffee while Oscar finishes up his homework from the night before. I pull up a stool next to him.

"Do you need any help?" I ask.

The smile brightens up his entire face.
"Really?" He asks.

I smile back him. "Yeah. I'd love too."

As it turns out, Oscar ends up teaching me how to do 'new' math, more than I can help him. I sit, completely impressed with how smart he is. For a kid his age, he can figure this stuff out better than I ever could.
Mawmaw even hangs around for his little lesson.

"Wow, Oscar," I say. "How do you get all of this?"

He shrugs, pleased with himself. "I don't know. I just like it."

Mawmaw rolls her eyes. "I never thought I'd see the day when one of my kids would enjoy school!"

She laughs and then returns to cooking breakfast. I rest my elbow on the island and listen to him.

" Are you liking your school, Oscar?" I ask.

He nods and I can't help but touch his soft blond hair, that really needs cutting.

"Yeah, I am," he mumbles. "But I still do know why Lex wants me to go to a private school? I mean there are no girls and I have to wear a stupid uniform too."

I giggle. "Well, he only wants what's best for you."

"Don't let Lex give you too hard of a time," John surprises us both as he comes into the kitchen. "He never cared much for having to wear a uniform or suit when he was young either."

Oscar sits up a bit straighter, always eager to learn something new about Lex. For Lex always had been his hero, and I have a feeling he always will be. With Oscar now fully transfixed in stories of my husband's youth, I go in search of Lex.
I end up spotting him through the windows of my living room. He sits in a white rocking chair and Chris in the other. They smile, chuckle at each, and I can easily tell, everything is right with them.
And suddenly, I hear a loud snore. A very pregnant, Jess, sleeps on my sofa. She has fallen asleep, watching tv and munching on some chips. I grab a throw blanket and curl up beside her. I love Jess, like she's my sister, and I am still thrilled for her. I will love her baby. And can't wait to meet the little angel. Jess and I curl up around each other just as we did when we were young girls.
I guess somethings will never change.
I never really fall asleep, just dozing in and out, until Lex and Chris return to the living room. Lex takes my hand and pulls me up to him, while Chris takes my spot beside Jess. Lex kisses the top of my head.

"Come with me," he whispers.  And I follow behind him.

He leads me past the kitchen, to the end of the staircase. He stops and turns to face me. Running his hands up and down my arms, I relax some.

"How are you feeling?" He asks concerned.

I wrap my arms around his waist. "I feel okay. Better than I should, I think."

He grins. "Really?" He sounds impressed. "I thought you'd still be in bed for a few days. At least."

I shrug. "I mean, I don't think I'm gonna go for a run any time soon. But today is better than yesterday."

With feather light fingers, he caresses my cheek.

" You are the amazing woman, I've ever met. And..." he takes a deep breath. "I want to apologize for what you saw last night. I know I kinda lost it but... I..."

"Shhh," I soothe him. "You're allowed to lost it every now and then. And considering what we have been through this weekend, I'd say you had a right to feel a bit upset. Please, don't apologize for having a heart, Lex."

He kisses the tip of my nose. "So, we're okay?"

I nod. "Yes, I think we are. Lex, it broke my heart and it still hurts. I don't think that pain will ever go away, but I do know this....everything will be okay. It may take some time but as long as we are together,nothing can tear us apart."

The look in his eyes, the deep inhale he takes, and the way his sigh sounds, is almost like a confront to me. And despite all of our heartache and pain, I am able to smile. A real smile. The kind that raises up from somewhere deep inside.
And he returns it.

"What?" He asks.

I lean in to him, laying my head over his heart, just to hear it thump.

"Nothing, I'm just happy."

"Are you really?"

I nod. "Yes, honey. With you I'm always happy. That doesn't mean that bad things won't happen. It just mean I know we can make it through this and whatever else comes our way."

( Hey, guys! So, I just really wanted to write tonight and had enough time to do it, so here ya go! Now, as I'm sure your already guessing this story is coming to an end. But.... I was wondering if you guys would be interested in Oscar having his own story? Of course, it will be a little bit of a time jump but I think that if you all would like to keep the D'Amore family going, I would love to do so. Just please, let me know what your thoughts are and if you would like to see what happens in Oscar's world! Much love!)