Chapter 70

~...~ Is there a normal life out there~...~
************************************
Mia
****
Spring is in full bloom.
It's been two weeks since I left the hospital. Most of my bruises and cuts have healed. Life is much better now.
Things have calmed down. Gone back to normal, but what is normal?
I lay in bed, in Lex's hotel room, that he is still staying in. The sheet covers just my lower half, stopping at my belly button. I attempt to look seductive. As best as I can anyways.
Lex returns from a phone call.
When he finds me on the bed, his eyes heat up quickly.

"Wow," he mumbles. "You're so beautiful."

I blush. No matter how many times we have made love or he tells me how attractive I am, I'm always blashful.
He sits down beside me. It isn't long before I am straddling his waist and our lips connected.
But he puts his hands on my hips to stop me.

"Mia, wait," he says. "I want to talk to you about something."

I raise a brow. Confused. "Okay?"

He takes a deep breath.

Panic rises up in my chest. "Lex, is everything okay?"

He grins. "Yeah. I just.... I was wondering if you would like to go somewhere with me?"

I blink. "Gah, is that all?"

He seems tense. Like he has a secret that he doesn't want to share with me.  He licks his lips then grins, he will never know what that does to me.

"I want you to go out to dinner with me tonight. But I've got some things to do before then, so, I made you an appointment at the spa here in the hotel."

I sit up with a wide smile. "Are you serious? Lex, I've always wanted to go to one of those!"

He is pleased with how happy he has made me. And he swats me on the behind.

"Then get up. Jess will be here shortly to go with you. Mawmaw too."

I jump up, naked as a newborn baby, and bounce up and down. My excitement is causing me to act a fool and embarrassment hits me hard.

"I'm glad you are so....happy... to be going to a spa."

I can see that I just overreacted but I brush it off.

"Ever since we were little, Jess and me wanted to go to a fancy day spa like this. And having both her and Mawmaw with me, it just makes it that much better."

He chuckles. "Well, just be ready to go out this evening. At six."

I pull on my sweats and tank top, then spin around.

"Where are you taking me?" I ask.

The grin he has had all morning vanishes. He becomes very serious and it puts me on edge.

"Just to dinner."

My hands go to hips. "Alright, should I dress up or casual?"

He closes the distance between us. "You could be wearing a potato sack and still be the most beautiful girl in the world to me. But a dress will do."

He kisses me and then leaves me standing alone. He is acting stranger than usual.
Jess and Mawmaw show up shortly afterwards and it isn't long before we are all standing together in robes. It took nearly twenty minutes for us to talk Mawmaw into taking off her clothes. But she still refused to take off her underwear and bra. When Jess and I are helped up on to our tables, the young man attempts to help mawmaw. She swats his hand away.

"Is he gonna be the one to rub us up with oils?" she asks.

Jess and I both laugh.
"Mawmaw, try to relax and enjoy this."

~•~
"My goodness, you're as tense as a cat walking on glass," mumbles the lady who is currently working on Mawmaws back and shoulders.

"Well, honey, when your as old as I am, and been putting up with as much crap as I have in raising these two," Mawmaw nods her head towards us, "you'd be a little tense too."

Next are facials. We lay down, covered in towels and our robes. The smell of roses and violets and lavender fills the air. For the life of me, I can't remember ever having been so relaxed..... Well, maybe when I'm with Lex. Laying in his arms. My mind travels back to the first time we ever made love. In the gazebo under the nights sky, the twinkling lights, the flowers, his gentleness with me. That night had been the best one of my life... Well up until I was kidnapped.

"Mia... "

His lips. His body covering mine.

"Mia, did you hear me?"

I snap out of it. "Sorry."

Jess rolls her eyes. "I have something to tell you both."

I glance over at Mawmaw and then Jess. "What is it?"

Jess bites her lip. "Well, I'm late."

"For what, honey?" Mawmaw asks.

It dawns on me just as Jess says, "My period."

Mawmaws eyes widen. "Holy shit!"

Both Jess and I snap our eyes over to Mawmaw, a woman who hardly ever cusses.

"Excuse me," Mawmaw realizes her language. "Are you sure?"

Jess nods and fights back tears. "A full month late."

Mawmaw yells out and jumps from her seat. I watch as they hug each other and then look to me. I'm in shock. Jess is pregnant. My best friend. A mother? In so many ways, I feel like we are just two little girls playing barbies and dreaming of falling in love.
Now, here we are, grown, in love, and now Jess is pregnant. Where did time go?

"Well, say something?" Jess says wipping her tears away.

A smile as big as Texas breaks out across my face. My hands cover my mouth. "Oh my God, Jess!"

She laughs. "I know. I know."

I stand to hug her close. "Does Chris know?"

She loses her smile. "I haven't told him yet. We have been so happy, I don't want to screw that up."

I roll my eyes. "Are you kidding? He is going to thrilled!"

Jess looks up at me. "Will he? Chris has said before that he wants kids but he was meaning way later, not nine months from now."

Mawmaw waves her hand. "Girls, let me tell you something, if we waited on men, nothing would ever happen. Jess it isn't like you planned this, it just happened. Chris is a good boy, he will be a wonderful father, or he will have me to deal with!"

We all giggle and hug each other again. Change is in the air, I can feel it.

(Thank you all for voting! Means so much! Please keep them coming and please comment, I love to know what everyone is thinking!)