Chapter 76

$$$ money can't buy you happiness, but my goodness, it sure is nice to have it. $$$
************************************
Mia
****
After two days of visiting Savannah, filling out papers, and getting to know the area, Lex and I headed home. We picked out a private school for Oscar next year and we began looking for the perfect spot for the new tattoo shop. Everything just seemed to fit in so perfectly for the life we have planned.
And now, that we are back in California, I have some more planning to do. After a dinner with the family and a early night in bed, today I feel ready to look for my dress. Lex has left early, but he left me a note.

'Went to check on Oscar and run some errands in town. I left some money in your wallet. If it's not enough, I will give you some more. Whatever you need. I want you to have exactly what you always dreamed your wedding dress would be. Try to enjoy the day and not stress. Remember it's you I'm marrying not the dress, I will always think your beautiful, no matter what you wear.
                        Love,
                    Your future husband. '

I jump up from bed, shower, dress, and send Jess a quick text. She and Mawmaw will go with me today, to pick out a dress. The wedding is only a few weeks away. As the time grows closer I can feel the anticipation coming on strong. I wonder if Lex feels it too. He's been so calm and cool about the whole thing, which I find surprising considering how he once hadn't wanted to get married.
But Lord knows, I won't say another word about, not when the last time had caused a big fight.
A text comes in from Jess, they are downstairs waiting. I grab my bag and leave our room.  On the elevator down, I remember his note saying something about money. I take out my wallet and open it. My eyes pop out. I squeeze my wallet shut as best as I can. Not wanting anyone to see just how much I hold in my hands.
Good Lord, Alex D'Amore!
What in the hell would he give me that much for?! How much does he think a wedding dress will cost. With the way he is spending money, he will be broke by the end of the week surly.
I mean, the house in Savannah couldn't have been cheap and now this..... Good Lord!
Mawmaw and Jess watch me closely as I walk towards them. Milo is driving us today. He too notices my bewildered look. But he doesn't remark on it.
I can't say the same for Mawmaw and Jess.
Once in the car, they both start asking me what is the matter.

"You look like you've seen a ghost," Jess says.

"Yes, dear, what in the world is wrong," Mawmaw asks.

I can't speak. Simply because I don't know what to say. Instead, I open my wallet to show them. They both blink a few times. Then look back up to me.

"My goodness, what did he give you all that for?" Jess asks.

Mawmaw is speechless for once in her life.

I shrug. "My wedding dress."

Jess's brows come together. "How much does he think a dress will cost you? I mean you much have at least four thousand dollars in there!"

I shrug again. "I don't know but he is spending so much money so fast. The house, now this. I mean, when he brought me a car, I thought he had spent a lot on me, too much really, but this?"

Mawmaw snaps out of it. "But I thought you wanted the house?"

I nod. "Oh, I do! The house is one thing but this? I don't want him to feel like the only reason I'm marrying him is because of his money. I love Lex. More than anything. I could care less if he was broke as a joke."
Mawmaw and Jess listen closely, and so does Milo, even though he is pretending otherwise. "I don't need all this. I never have. He knows that surly he does. I want him to know that it has never been about the money."

Mawmaw smiles as does Jess. I even see a grin on Milo's face in the review mirror. But I mean every word.

"Has it ever crossed your mind that Lex just wants you to have all you ever dreamed of?"
Mawmaw asks.

"Well, yes, but I already have everything I ever dreamed of. I have him, my family, Oscar, and now a home."

Jess touches my hand. "If you're worried so much about it, then tell him how you feel. You shouldn't start off a marriage with secrets."

The rest of the day is spent picking out  fabrics, dress designs, and hair pieces.  I choose white lace and a beautiful veil with lace trimming. The last are shoes, which I keep simple. But feminine. It takes hours to put it all together. By the end of the day, my head hurts and I'm exhausted, but not so tired that I won't have a talk with Lex.
I open the door to our room to find him laying on the bed with the remote in his hand, flipping through the channels. He sits up as I close the door behind me. His smile is warm and welcoming.

"Hello, beautiful. How was it?"

I halfheartedly smile. "It was good but Lex, I wanna talk to you about something."

Immediately he becomes alarmed. He stands so fast, it takes a moment for my eyes to keep up.

"What is it?" he asks.

I hold my hands up. "Chill. There is nothing to freak out over. Relax."

He tries, really he does, but I can see that he can't fully. I take a seat on the bed and pat the spot next to me. He sits but is still on pins and needles.

"Mia, what is it? Did someone bother you? "

I shake my head. "No. Nothing like that. It's the money."

He relaxes but still raises a brow. "Okay? What about it?"

I sigh. "Don't you think you're spending a bit much. I mean I know that you don't really worry about money, you never had too, but I wasn't raised like you. I've always had to worry about it and I.... I just.... I don't want you to think that your money is all I care about or need from you."

He laughs. He literally laughs at me!

I smack his arm. "Don't you dare laugh at me, Alex D'Amore! I'm being serious. Stop it!"

He sobers up a bit but he still is smiling. "Ah,  baby. I thought something bad. And here you are worrying over me spending money on you. Oh, come on. Don't walk away from me."

He comes up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist.

"Baby girl,  don't be mad at me. Here, look at me," he spins me around. "Mia, look, I'm sorry that I don't have the same worries you do but I thought you knew by now, money isn't a problem for me. You will be my wife, so what's mine is yours. And what's yours is mine, right? So, what if I want my girl to have a nice dress and feel beautiful in it. Did you use some of the money I gave you today."

Guilty, I nod.

"Then see, I knew you would need some, so I thought I would help."

Smugly, I look up at him. "I only used a little and I want you to take back the rest."

He shakes his head. "No, I gave it to you and it's yours. Buy something pretty for our new house. Or the wedding, I don't care, just so long as you have what you need and want."

I spin around and take the money from my wallet. I hold it out to him.
"Well,  it's a good thing I already have what I need and want. Here take it."

He shakes his head and grins at me wickedly. "No, it's yours."

I stomp my foot. "Lex, take it! I already have my own money."

He rolls his eyes and flops back on the bed. "You know," he says as he takes the remote again. "You better get use to having money, Mia. You're marrying me and like I said, what's mine is yours. That's the way marriage works. I love you and I understand you want to get your independence but sometimes you have to understand marriage means we become a team. So, get use to it."

I toss my hands up. "You can be a real ass sometimes, Lex."

He rolls his eyes at me again. "Yeah, yeah, baby,  I hear ya."