Chapter 9

Zayn's POV:

As I bring the hot mug to my lips, I watch the little girl in a night dress stand at the top of the staircase.

"You may come down," I informed her shy self. I quickly change the channel to spongebob instead of the show that was made for older people.

She walks over and stands behind the love seat that almost covers her whole body.

"Come here, sweetie."

"No," Her raspy morning voice says with confidence. I roll my eyes with a little chuckle.

"Is that the only word you know?" I questioned, curiously.

"No," She snapped and I chuckle, expecting that kind of answer.

"Are you hungry?" I asked, standing up to walk over to her. She backs away and hides behind the couch.

"Come on, babe." I said, softly, hoping my tone will bring her in.

"I'm not hungry," She whispered lowly, just enough so I can hear.

"Why not?" I kneel down to her height. She brings her hands to her chest and looks down at them. She doesn't respond she just stands there, and for some reason, I sense she wants me to leave but I don't.

"Why not?" I repeated, hoping she's respond now.

"Because,"

"Because why?"

"Because because," She said, irritated. "I want my mommy," She pleads, her eyes watering out of no where. I know she wants her mom but this was totally off topic.

"I know,"

"Why can't I see her?" She whispered.

"Because," I used her smart remark.

"But I need her! I need her so bad right now," She said and takes a huge breath.

"Why?"

"I can't tell you," She coughs quickly afterwards.

"Why?" I asked, louder.

"Please!" Her plead turns into crying and my whole body turns into panic mode.

"What's wrong?" I pulled her hands towards me so she's close, almost in my arms.

"Mommy!" She breathes really hard and it frightens me.

"Calm down, calm down. It's okay," I cooed. Did I really make her all worked up over this conversation?

Her coughs get harder and you can hear how horrible it sounds.

"It's okay, do you need water?" I asked, worriedly. She shakes her head back and forth really quickly as the tears fall down her cheeks. I wipe them away and hold her now freezing hands in mine. I'm surprised she isn't pulling away but I don't mention it.

Her chest rises and falls so quickly and streaks of sweat start to pour down her cheeks.

Is she sick?

She must have a cold or something..

"Aw come here," I lift her up and she doesn't reply, squirm, or scream. She must be sick because she's not fusing.

"I need my mommy! I need her!" She cried, her body suddenly starting to shake.

I sit her down on the couch and kneel in front of her.

"Babe, do you know something I don't?" I asked, hoping she'd tell me.

"I ca-" Her voice goes so low I can't hear her.