Chapter 36

Zayn's POV:

"Delaney!" I screamed, immediately jumping into the pool with all of my clothes on. My feet touch the ground. The coolness of the water surrounds me and I feel her kick my leg.

I sink my head underwater and open my eyes. I grab ahold of her arm and bring her to the surface where she coughs and coughs. I move her hair out of her face.

"Delaney!" I cried, tears pouring out of my eyes. She opens her eyes and coughs some more, water spilling out of her mouth. "Baby girl!"

She clings onto me for dear life and starts sobbing louder than I've ever heard. "I-I slipped in!"

"You're okay, you're okay." I said while pulling her head down on my shoulder. She cries and cries harder each time which only makes me cry harder too.

That was the scariest moment of my life.

Her body shakes against mine and I could imagine mine being the same against hers. I don't bother getting out of the pool. I'm so much in shock that I don't think I can move.

"I thought I knew how to swim but I tried to come up but I couldn't!" She explained as another sob rolls off her lip.

It was probably her clothes sinking her down.

"Sh-sh. It's okay baby." I said, my voice quivering. I rub her back and decide maybe it's time to get her into dryer clothes.

"Zayn! Del! Where are you?" I heard Ariana's voice from the kitchen. She comes into our view by the door and her eyes widen. "What are you doing in th- what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

"I fell in mommy!" Delaney sobbed, pulling back from my shoulder. "I couldn't swim!"

"Oh god!" Ariana panicked. She rushes to the side of the pool and puts her arms out.

I walk us over to the side and place Delaney on her feet on the surface by her mother. Ariana takes her hand and pulls her far enough away from the pool.

I stay in the pool with tears still sliding out of my eyes and down my cheeks. "I thought I was losing you."

My voice came out in a crack and a cry soon follows it. Ariana looks at me with sad eyes. "Come on." She uses her finger.

I hold onto the side of the pool and pull myself out. Delaney is still crying and Ariana tries to comfort her without getting her new dry clothes wet.

I stand onto my feet and step over to them. Ariana looks up at me and raises a hand and places it on my cheek.

"It's okay, she's okay Zayn." She said, her voice soft. She uses her thumb to caress my cheek. I stare at her for a few seconds. "Why don't you come on and get some dry clothes and sleep over again?"

I find myself nodding. She smiles a bit and puts her hand out for me. I take it and she does the same to Delaney and we walk inside.

I shut the back door and follow her as she leads us through the kitchen. We walk up the stairs and she takes Delaney into Delaney's room while I go to hers where I have some clothing I have left over here.

I walk to the bathroom and grab a towel and take off my clothing and hang them over the bath tub. I wrap the towel around my waist and walk over to her dresser. I open the first drawer and grab some boxers. I drop the towel and quickly slide them on before my daughter or Ariana walks in on me.

I quickly open the second drawer and pull out some of my grey sweatpants and slip them on.

"Zayn?" Ariana called from outside the door. "Can I come in?"