8| Trial One (Setting Up The First Change)

March 1995:

Troy -

It's been a little over two months since those of us with guardians, and the rest of the group members signed on with what we were told would be the greatest times in our lives. Though I was living my dream, doing what I loved, I had yet to come across any of the great moments.

For the most part; if we weren't in the studio trying to record a decent demo, one we could all agree on as far as songs went, or in rehearsals with our vocal and dance coaches; we were back home trying to get through school. When they could get us together for a full weekend, with no interruptions, there were minor arguments. Chauncey attributed it to the fact that we were all girls; hormones, emotions, and a lot of fluff as far as he was concerned. To calm us down, he finally appointed someone that would act as not only our 'house mother' of sorts, but also as our publicist; though she let us know right off the bat that she and Chauncey worked closely, and more often than not, she took on his role as manager. We would see her more because weren't his only artists; she would work directly with us so that he wouldn't lose his mind over keeping four teenage girls happy and under control.

Brandy Monroe. She was short, and a little bit on the heavy-set side, but extremely beautiful. She had bone straight, blonde hair that stopped just past her shoulders. She had a nice smile and a very pleasant attitude. One of those white women with a slight hood side but she got away with it because she wasn't trying to be anything but herself. The first thing she said to us; don't let this pale skin fool you. I'm about my business and my time is to not be wasted. Respect me, I'll respect you. Do as you're told, and I'll do what I know will keep you girls in the spotlight. She and Dior had already gotten into it three or four times, but that was to be expected. They both had strong personalities, and it was an instant battle of wits and superiority. When it came to who the rest of us sided with after the arguments, it always fell to Brandy because she never looked at us as if we were beneath her.

Dior came in with a major attitude, making it known that everything about and within the group was hers. The status, the upcoming fame, the main spotlight and the lead; it all belonged to her. She felt that even though she was the rapper of the group; since she could still sing circles around the rest of us, dance, and 'looked better' than the rest of us... it was no question that this was HER group and we were just here as background support.

Chauncey had shut that down numerous times, making it known that we would all have leads at some point, though most would fall between Jayla and I. Dior wasn't having it. She truly felt that she was the boss, the one every one of our future fans would be coming to see. She'd already had this huge ego, a DIVA complex. Refused to stay in the apartment we shared when we were in town together, never showed up for rehearsals. And if she did, she was hours late and refused to rehearse with the rest of us. Royalty doesn't mingle with the peasants until it's necessary.

She had demands that included being paid more than the rest of us, with bigger credits. Here we were; struggling to even record a demo and she was already talking about Dior and the ... whatever Chauncey was going to name us. It was ridiculous, and growing old real fast.

"Alright Girls, settle down. We can't afford to waste any time during this visit. Already, the boys have finished their demo and are ready for their first buzz single to be released. The whole point of creating two groups at once was to push you out and market you at the same time. I, for one, don't like flying back and forth, weekend after weekend, putting in long hours to come out of these sessions empty handed. In case the four of you didn't know, this isn't free. Now, here's the game plan for the next two days, and it includes absolutely no fun. Let the attitudes, egos, hurt feelings and everything negative go right here and right now." She looked between the four of us, checking to see if we had anything we wanted to say. Usually, Dior would butt in with her two cents, but she sat quietly, rolling her eyes. "We're going to be recording a four song demo today. We've got the studio all day and we're not leaving until we're done. Tomorrow, we're putting together some press packages, and creating a sizzle reel to begin getting your name out there. From this moment on, collectively, you're known as Fly Girl. Now let's get to it."