33| Where Trouble Lurks...

October 1997 :

Ava –

As we all hoped and prayed, we came out on top with our second album, True Story. It debuted at number one, and stayed at number one for a month and a half before we were bumped down to number three. That wasn't bad at all, considering our label had put nothing behind us on our initial release day. All that any of us could say was thank God the fans were listening when we announced the date, and thank God they came out and showed out in numbers.

And since we'd proven MCA wrong, once again, they had no choice but to up the ante on the promotional front. Commercials, more appearances and interviews, contests for fans, an extension to the tour we already had planned out, and so much more so that we could get every opportunity possible out of this go 'round. There were already big talks for awards we could take home once award season began, and of course MTV, BET, and other companies were reaching out to add us to their performance rosters for all shows they had coming up.

More guest appearances on TV for all of us, along with me doing the show I'd done the theme song for. Some big artists were asking us to join them on their national tours, there was no hip magazine that we weren't featured in, and of course we made our trip across seas to appear on Top Of The Pops and a few other English shows.

We were in high demand, and this time, for the first time, we got to move into having our own special merchandise outside of sweatshirts sold at shows, pictures, and tour books.

"I know I say it every day, but I'm so proud of you girls. Not only have you all been in the top ten and top five steadily since mid-August, not only are you all garnering positive reviews and accolades, the great amount of buzz about AMAs, Grammys, STAs, and so many other awards; you're all getting your own freaking dolls!"

We looked at Brandy and smiled. "Crazy how they want to create dolls out of us."

"Even crazier how they'll actually look like us; the representation. Man, I cannot wait to see little brown and black faces holding up a Troy doll and telling their mother or father how they love having something that looks like them. That was always something I wished I could do as a kid."

Torii laughed, agreeing with Troy. "Right. I mean, they were cool, and I loved all of my Barbies, but I wanted to see a sista from Malibu with a dope job, a 401k plan, a bomb ass ride and a nice house. Oh, and instead of Ken, she had a Malik by her side, handling business of his own as a highly respected African-American doctor or lawyer. Black dolls period were so rare, and I absolutely hated the ones that looked like they came straight out of the war eras, just thrown together to 'satisfy'."

Brandy looked among all of us. "I'm just glad somebody at Mattel is getting the bigger picture. You guys getting a doll, Brandy, and a few others. These will be collectors' items, I'm certain. I know for certain, I've got to get one of each before they sell out. You all plan on sending your personal dolls back home to your parents to keep, right?"

Torii and Troy both nodded, while Leann announced that she was going to keep hers with her in the apartment that she would be getting soon. I just shook my head. "What are you going to do with yours, Ava?"

I looked at Brandy, clearing my throat as my phone began ringing. "Definitely not sending it to my parents. Knowing my mother, she'd probably set it on fire and watch my face melt." I shrugged, standing and excusing myself as I pulled my Motorolla StarTAC 70 out of my pocket.