17| Boys... & The Problems They Bring

Torii –

Sitting in the center of my bed, I smiled and blew kisses at my little brother, Chris, smiling wide as he poked his tiny little lip out. Though I love both of my little brothers dearly, Chris is the only one of the two that will actually sit around me without crying excessively for no reason. It's almost as if Anthony, or Tony as we call him, picked his favorite the instant Troy and I got back home.

Anthony will take one look at me, poke that bottom lip out and get to wailing; and that's without me even being super close to him or attempting to pick him up. He's a cute little thing, but real rude about showing who his least favorite older sister is.

While rubbing Chris' chubby cheeks, I quietly listened in on Troy's latest phone conversation with Roman. Not my business, no, but she wanted me to hear how he'd been speaking to her lately. For some reason, she felt I wouldn't believe that he'd changed all of a sudden, so she'd been taking all of his calls with me around.

I guess she figured I liked him as a person, or felt he was a good choice for her. I mean, he was cool, and stood up for us a lot, but he still ran with Tiphany and her pound of mutts. I know who to invest my time and trust into and Roman was never one of those people.

"I already told you, stop yelling and stop cursing. Also, you have no reason to be cursing or yelling at me."

"You're my girlfriend, aren't you?"

I peeked over at Troy as she threw her head back for a few seconds, throwing all of her hair out of her face as she let out a deep sigh. "Actually, no. You asked me, but I heard that every time I leave for California or somewhere else, you're sneaking in and out of Tiphany's bedroom window-" My jaw dropped. "So no, Roman, I am not your girlfriend. Furthermore, we never made anything official because when I found out I got chosen for the group, I told you let's test to see how we might workout long distance. Talking, and just talking."

He chuckled, but I don't get what was funny. "That right there, that is when it became clear that you were my girl. The hell I'm gonna do long distance with somebody for if I'm not serious about it?"

"Oh, your seriousness about me would have been real and true if I had given you what you wanted. And I didn't, and you started acting funny afterwards, only talking to me when you felt like it, so I knew not to invest my feelings into something that was probably going to be over by the time Thanksgiving rolled around."

I looked over at her after picking Chris up, rubbing his back gently as I held him against my chest. "What did he want you to do, Sis?"

She held her hand up, quietly asking me to hold on. "Oh come off it Troy. You were forever walking around school, acting like you're some type of pure and innocent angel. You've had boyfriends, you know what the deal is."

I shook my head, forcing myself not to go off since Roman seemed to have missed the fact that she had him on speakerphone. "First of all, when we started 'talking' I was fourteen. My birthday passing changed nothing, I'm just another year older. But, for sure, not a year dumber. Who do you think I am? You really thought I was going to sleep with you and be okay after you went on to someone else?"

"You know it wasn't going to be like that."

"Tuh, from your reaction when I said 'no', that's sure what it seems like it was going to be. You might be sixteen and doing all that, you might be ready for it, but I'm not. And anybody that wants to call their self my boyfriend will not stress or pressure me about it."