9| The Domino Effect (When One Falls, Others Begin To Tumble)

April 1995 -

Troy -

In a late night joint rehearsal with Xclusive, our brother group, I sat on the edge of the stage writing while the fellas practiced behind me. Since they already had their demo out, being sent around to get a good buzz going, they'd been given the greenlight to record a single of their own and a remake that would become an official first single for them.

It amazed me how well they got along with one another, and I kind of wished that it could be the same for us. A whole week passed with more of Dior's antics before Brandy finally came in and announced in front of everyone that she was being replaced.

I don't believe it was done to embarrass her, but to show us all that this is a huge opportunity being given to us, to show us that only we can mess ourselves up. I felt bad for her, but I'd be lying if I said I'd miss her.

I was hoping this meant another singer would come in to even things out, thus giving my sister another shot, but that was quickly shot down. Brandy had come across another New Orleans rapper, one with less of an attitude, one that was actually better than Dior. She played us the girl's tape, just so we could get a vibe of who was coming in to mesh with what we'd already started, and once again... I had no issues.

I just wanted to sing, and get our demo done. However, since she and Dior were close, Brittany began to feel some type of way. She chose not to argue with Brandy or Chauncey while Jayla and I were in the room, but I know she's given them pieces of her mind every chance she got after the cut and replacement was announced.

"Trooooooy!" I felt something hit me and when I turned around, I spotted Greg's sweaty and funky towel hanging off my shoulder. "Eww. What?" I tossed it back at him, hitting him in the mouth.

"Marliss was asking you what do you think of how we sound. We want to know too since you're always perfect when you rehearse."

I shook my head. "That's a lie, but I wasn't even paying attention to you guys. Sorry."

"Well, will you listen to us for a second, please? We really want to get this right."

Raymond nodded his head. "Yeah, I'm tired of Chauncey coming down on us for nothing. He got one more time and the next cut y'all will be hearing about is me."

I shook my head before setting my notebook down and turning to face them, moving closer to them so that I wouldn't accidentally fall off the stage. "Alright, let me hear it. You'll know how you're doing by the expressions on my face."

"Or if you tell us to shut the hell up, got you."

I smirked, knowing I would never live that incident down. "Nobody told you to start harmonizing in the back of a crowded van, at two in the morning when people were trying to sleep, thank you. Now sing before I change my mind and let Chauncey chew you out."

They cleared their throats and straightened up before Marliss pulled his microphone off the stand. They remained silent for a few moments, I guess trying to get in a good space mentally, and then Marliss started singing. "Here comes the teardrops falling again. Seems like the night has come to an end."

Raymond, Desmond, and Greg joined behind him. "I wonder why I feel like my heart is failing me."

"When you were here I knew what to do, now I just waste time thinking of you."