13| Sweet Sixteen & Making Memories

May 1995 :

Torii

Taking a second to pull my jeans up, I threw my hands back up, dancing in my spot as Troy and I watched Kris Kross perform one of our favorite songs from their last album. The SoSoDef Block Party was the dopest show we'd been to, to date, and I was beyond glad that Daddy managed to get tickets at the last minute.

The show being on my birthday made it even better, and getting an impromptu shout out from the stage was the icing on the cake. "It's hard for me to sleep, 'cause in my hood all I ever here is..."

I rocked from side to side, rapping along. "And you ain't really have to start it; but since you did, let's play a game called hit the moving target." After rapping the chorus one last time, they stopped and brought Da Brat out. Naturally, being one of the greatest female emcees, she came out spitting straight fire as she did her verse from their song Da Bomb and I went off, turning to my sister, flowing word for word like we would at home while listening to the album.

That's when Kris Kross took their exit and Da Brat jumped straight into tracks from her Funkdafied album. Complete and utter excellence.

If anybody thought we were too turned off by hip-hop, simply because we rarely listened to it outside of our home, they were sadly mistaken. We could follow and keep up better than most of the self-proclaimed hip-hop heads, and tonight was just the moment we both needed to turn off the 'prissy-R&B chick' vibes most had tagged us with.

And when I heard the intro to my favorite song, I gave a stank face before jumping up and screaming. Winding my hips to the quick verse by the Jamaican artist she'd featured, I shrugged my shoulders; unashamed as eyes around my sister and I fell on me.

"Bump-diddy-bump is that good that ya get when ya listenin' to the sounds of Da Brat."

Troy looked at me before giving her best Biggie Smalls impression. "Baaaaay-beh!"

"It's like that, it's like that. Ain't no future in frontin', so to avoid all that I keep bumpin'. I ain't no muh'effin' joke! Step up and get broke up, Loc! How I came in is how I'm goin' out."

"With a bang!"

"Puttin' it down, puttin' it down ain't no thang."

Troy and I slapped hands, smiling once we finally realized that Da Brat had bent down and pointed her microphone directly at us. "Ain't no thang, ain't no thang... whaaat?!"

"For me to knock clowns out the box daily!" Troy and I shouted together, throwing our fists for effect before we fell out laughing and thanked her.

She looked down at us and smiled. "I don't know about the rest of the crowd, but these two got my ass feelin' real good! Let me find out y'all young ones know my shit like this."

I pulled at the bottom of the tank top I was wearing and finally took a minute to catch my breath and calm down as she got into Fa All Y'all. That was Troy's jam and I chose to stand back and watch as she cut up.

I was so glad that she didn't have to fly out for my birthday weekend. We'd made plans, with the exception of tonight's concert, months ago and we've been running around Mount Pleasant and Memphis the entire time. As Da Brat finished her set, they announced an intermission while Xscape and another artist got ready to finish the second half of the show.

Troy and I returned to our seats and I quickly put my jacket on before sitting down. "Sis, I know your new boo wanted to celebrate your birthday with you, but can I just say that I'm glad you chose to bring me along."