54| It Was Almost Good Again

Torii –

We were spending our third day in New Orleans, preparing for our final show in the city. To our surprise, the love shown to us had been huge! Each night, sold out, with hundreds more calling in to the radio station we were doing interviews on trying to get the comp tickets we were giving away to special fans.

Following the last interview, we all rushed across town to make it to a spa day I'd set up for us. Whether anyone else felt so or not, it was well deserved, and it would probably be the only one we could get in for the next four or five weeks.

Brandy, glad that we were still getting along, joined us at my insistence, and we ditched Harrison for the remainder of the afternoon.

"So, how are you all feeling now that you've gotten back to performing? We've only conquered one city, but multiple nights and shows. Have you gotten back into the flow of things?"

Leann spoke first as she stretched out on one of the massage tables. "I made a few mistakes the first night; got overly emotional, definitely realized that I'm more out of shape than I thought. But, aside from that, I don't think it'll take much longer for me to fall in line. It was like..." She paused, probably trying to collect her thoughts. She did that a lot now, always trying to be mindful of what she said and how she said it. "For me personally, coming home, it was overwhelming. More than just being back on stage, I was home. I don't know; I guess I felt like I didn't deserve another chance. In fact, I don't. Not from you, the girls, the fans, or the industry. And definitely not from my hometown, because I'd talked so much shit about this city in those last few interviews before I went back to Heaven's Gate. I just can't imagine still being cared for, and loved or liked. Can't imagine people still wanting to work with me, wanting to be bothered with me. I'm still waiting for y'all to leave my ass behind in a random city."

I didn't mean to laugh, but the way she said it, I had to admit that I'd thought about it once or twice. "That's not nice Torii."

Leann smirked. "It's fine though, Brandy, no doubt I would have deserved it. Anyway, I'm just glad for the chance. Can't say I'm completely over this mess, but I'm trying. I am trying."

I nodded my head, speaking up. "That's all that you can do, one day at a time. As for me; I don't know if I was ever in the flow of things, or if I ever fell out of it. Y'all know me, long as there's a group, I'm here and ready for whatever. But I've always preferred the background. When the focus isn't on me singing lead, I'm good. I don't stress over messing up, or looking good. I just go out there and give all I've got."

"You and Troy just naturally make all of this look easy though."

I shrugged, neither agreeing or disagreeing. Performing, much like writing and singing in general was second nature for me. "Only thing I have to get used to again is getting up at odd times, and going to bed early. Have to get used to being in front of cameras again."

"Thought you were acting too."

I looked at Ava and nodded. "To take pictures I mean, and those bit roles don't count." I laughed, admitting that I sometimes take the smallest roles possible. I'd realized I didn't care too much for acting, but I always wanted it to be another option. "Pose, now make it look natural. Hold that, don't breathe too hard. And getting in and out of makeup chairs. Fittings and strange people groping all over you. I don't like nobody but Raj touching me, so you know it's a struggle not to slap some of these designers, especially the males."

"And you, Troy? Or did you never really leave."

Sitting with her eyes closed as she waited for her foot massage and pedicure to start, Troy spoke lowly. "I left. Only place I could be heard was on Marliss' stuff, and that's because he wouldn't leave me alone. Other than that, I stopped singing. Took roles where I could dress down, or that made me look like a kid, or where I was unrecognizable."